PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking for advise

Dan3691
10-13-2007, 12:25 AM
I am new to the forum but have read a lot and I think I have a good start but want your oppions on what I have so far. I have spent hours on all of this set up. My web site is www.freewebs.com/dan3691 I would like your honest remarks. * I also have done a lot of carpentry and tons of other things from running cranes to ripping and putting machines back together. I have done just about anything you can do to a home from running heavy equipment to pretty much building my house I live in now. *I would like to make some extra money so I decided to try cutting grass and start a Handyman Service. I wish I can figure out how to build stuff and convert files that is my biggest problem. It sure would be nice if someone can tell me how they use the template on here and make them into a website because I pretty much gave up on that I was ready to pull my hair out what little I have left. I live in a rich tourist town in northern ohio by put in bay on lake erie. It is full of rich people buying very expensive homes for there summer homes so I know the work is here.

SerranoLandscaping
10-13-2007, 01:30 AM
The page looks good and your prices are reasonable. The only thing I will change is your wkly mowing Price. bump it up to $35 since you said your in a high end community. My minimun is $35 and I havent had a problem with that.

I like the web page. Good work man.

Dan3691
10-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks it wasn't easy. I put down the very least for a small yard to try and pull people in. I am also trying to get a sign made up and trying to decide hoe to advertise all of this. Any suggestions

Steve
10-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to our forum! If you want to experiment with the web templates, find one you like and get it up online in a test directory and we all can make a fun learning project out of it. Tell us what you want to do and we can offer suggestions.

I like where you are coming from with your business plan. Everyone can use property maintenance services.

Since you live in a rich tourist town, are there a lot of people who own vacation homes there and live elsewhere? Have you thought of offering property management for them too?

What kind of things are you doing to market your business so far?

Dan3691
10-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Well I made a flier and put my number on the bottom so they could rip it off to call. I hung four of them up one at the grocery store, ace hardware, laundrymat, and at the lakeside area where it is loaded with very rich people it is a community of its own. I got a message on my cell phone from a guy wanting his lawn fertilized but he didn't leave me a number to call him back he said to call him he wanted me to fertilize his lawn. Go figure the very first person wouldn't leave a number. Any ideas how to get it. It was a restricted number on my phone. Thanks !

Steve
10-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Can you *69 ?

Are there other things you can do to generate interest in your business?

Could you possibly do something to help someone in the community? Are you a member of any community organizations you could ask if someone needs help? Fixing something around their house or yard?

Then take a few pictures of what you did and send them into the paper?

Dan3691
10-14-2007, 12:15 AM
What will *69 do ? I have read a few post you have made about someone getting into the paper. What kind of Ideas can you come up with. I really can't think of any. I dont think the paper will put me in it for helping someone do something but I will give this a lot of thought. I am big into Purple Martins which I have a large *****y here. Maybe I can get something going on that but I wouldn't know how to get the business involved in it. I have thought about for a long time about having school bring some kids out for a school trip for education. Have any ideas about this.

pnplawn
10-14-2007, 03:04 AM
First off, lets talk about the website:

#1 You need your own Domain Name. get rid that freewebs.com name. you want your customers to see that you have your own site and that it looks professional. Something like cuttingedgelawn.com Also remember you want the name to be as short as it can be. Something easy for the customer to remember. Now look at me, Im starting to get onto tomorrows website tip of the day LOL Anyway ill work you someone on it soon.

Rodman

pmblair
10-14-2007, 08:12 AM
You should also think about having a logo. *Something that makes you stand out and be remembered. *Contact me at pmblair@blairprod.com if you would like to discuss a logo design. *I charge $50.

I can also help with your website if you like.

Steve
10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Quote[/b] ]What will *69 do ? I have read a few post you have made about someone getting into the paper. What kind of Ideas can you come up with. I really can't think of any. I dont think the paper will put me in it for helping someone do something but I will give this a lot of thought. I am big into Purple Martins which I have a large *****y here. Maybe I can get something going on that but I wouldn't know how to get the business involved in it. I have thought about for a long time about having school bring some kids out for a school trip for education. Have any ideas about this.

*69 was set up so you could call back the number that most recently called you even if the number was blocked. But I am guessing at this point it's been too long and others have called sense.

Oh that is very interesting and unique! I don't think I have ever heard of them! That is a good start, in fact you write an article about them.

Think about these things,
- Who are you
- What are purple martins
- Where are they located
- Why did you get interested in them
- When did you get started with this interest
- How do you care for them

Now maybe you could tie in the Purple Martins with a picture of you building a bird house specifically designed for them? This would tie in the birds with the construction. Then you could also talk about the landscape around them that is conducive to them.

Maybe you could include a Purple Martin in your logo in the background!

Build up and play off of what makes you unique! I like this angle a lot!

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/garden/habitatphotos/P6040005martin.jpg

Do you have any pictures of your purple martins you could share with us or show us where they live? Could you also try and answer those who, what, where questions? That will help in the formation of an article.

Maybe also you could make some bird houses for free for others in your area that are interested in having such birds live on their property. This could be another tie in. You could actively go searching for places to put them. Like schools or senior centers. Places where people would like to sit and watch them. This would make for a great article element as well! And you making these bird houses for free would position you and your business as a local hero.

Such an article would be like your coming out presentation to the community and then you would need to follow up with a website, flyers or door hangers in the area that maybe included you were spotlighted in the paper. You want to keep the buzz going once you get it.

What's your take on this so far?

Dan3691
10-14-2007, 01:05 PM
I have been into Martins for many years I have written articles on supplimental feeding and other things for the Purple Martin Association that is in Penn. Martins are a very indepth thing there is a whole lot more to it then just putting a house up and they arrive. There are people that have been trying to attract Martins for 20 to 30 years with out any success and the guy down the road might have a *****y. Building Martin houses can get very expensive when you factor in the pole and the house that they need for there needs. I am one of a hand full of people in the united states that has trained my birds to eat supplimental food which is scrambled eggs. I feed them crickets by hand also. I toss the food in the air and they swoop down to feed sometimes inch from my head. I have feed as many as 75 dozen eggs and up to 20000 crickets to my Martins, Tree Swallows and Bluebirds. This is a passion I have but I am trying to make extra money with this business and I thought if there was a way I could use the birds as the attention getter. I have had several people call and stop by for advise. I have had cars parked along the road while I have been feeding stopped to watch. It is one heck of a site. As far as Martins go I have had thousands of hours on this subject. By the way I also do nest checks to document there nesting success and I have fledged around 5000 babies.

Steve
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
WOW! This is great stuff! Have you ever thought of making and selling these bird houses? Could you make a profit on them? Could you make a training video on the process?

Maybe you could make simple birdhouses for freebies. Or create some kits where you can go into the local schools and have them so the kids can glue the kit together and paint it and hang them in their yards.

Utilize all this to attract attention that you are offering property maintenance and handyman services.

Did you already register your business name? Have you thought about incorporating the bird name into your business name? Blue Martin Property Maintenance? Something like that?

Do you have any pictures you could show us?

Dan3691
10-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Yes I already have the name registered with the IRS. I will try to get some pictures on here of my martins

Steve
10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I am looking forwards to this!

Clean Lawn
10-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Well someone already suggested raising your weekly lawn service price to $35.00 which was the best suggestion. That is my lowest price but know that if for any reason you choose to service a smaller lawn and this is something I just did. I have a military woman that needs only her backyard serviced and she is out of the country so much, I changed the price to $25.00 for her and she is overwhelmed with our service thus far. Makes me feel good but this really was for her and we get another great happy customer.
On ya'lls webpage do you have lawn customers giving their thumbs-up regarding your lawn service maintenance or should I only do this with landscaping people (once that gets going)? Sorry went brain dead this morning and cannot thing of what its called, not a referal or really a testimonial but its like that. Ignore me its Sunday and I actually slept more then 5 hours for once....my brain is on stun mode. :blush:

Clean Lawn
10-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok had to post regarding the Martin's. I had watched a show not long ago regarding these birds and I was totally amazed. I would love to see more on your experience with them. This is so cool. Normally I don't like to have more then 5 birds in my yard at once only because their droppings eat paint off of cars, trucks, etc... like it was acid (so we keep everything cleaned off) but I still find wildlife very exciting. I love these birds and think they are fascinating and my other great interest is wolves. I actually was less than a foot from a wild live one once that just wanted a little love and food. I was blessed enough to get to provide this. Wow what a great experience. That must be what it feels like for you with the Martins! Keep us up to date on it please. =)

Steve
10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Quote[/b] ]I actually was less than a foot from a wild live one once that just wanted a little love and food.
Yikes! How did this happen?