PDA

View Full Version : New Member

badfish23
08-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Hello everyone. I stumbled across the site just the other day when I was looking for good information on dos and dont's of starting a lawn business. This site ROCKS!!

There are so many helpful articles with good advice. Hopefully I to can become as successful as most of you.

Right now I work a full time job 8-4:30 M-F, and I want to start a business up, to eventually be my own boss.

Here is the equipment I currently have to start with:
'02 Chevy S-10 ZR2 truck (black, very nice and clean)
two push mowers (1 craftsman 22", and 1 Troy Bilt 21")
1 Home lite weedeater
1 Weedeater brand 150mph blower.
I also have a cub cadet riding mower 36"? deck(not sure if I plan on using this?)

I know this isn't the best equipment to start with, but money is tight, and I will upgrade as I make more.

I came up with a name for my business as MJS (my initials) Lawn Care. I designed a logo using the free templates off the site. Though I'm not sure if I am completely sold on the name yet. Can you tell me if it is catchy or maybe give me some other ideas.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Steve
08-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi badfish23,

Welcome to our forum! Glad you could make it!

I think your name is fine. I think the equipment you have is fine too. The best thing you can do is just get started today. Don't put it off another day.
Can we see what your logo looks like? Are you going to get some magnetic signs for your truck?

What will you be doing to market your business?

What kind of job do you work at?

badfish23
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

I have attached two images that I have come up with for logos. What do you think? I'm not sure on which one I like better. I will be having magnetic signs made for my truck, as well as a few T-shirts for me (one man crew) to wear also.

I'm also going to print up some flyers, or door hangers to pass out to every house in my surrounding neighborhoods (estimated 300 houses or more) Also going to have business cards made up to have at all times and pass out anywhere I can. Grocery stores, auto stores, anywhere with a corkboard.
I am in the process of creating a Myspace page as well. I already have set up an email.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2516000-2516999/2516475_27_full.gif

ritchiem
08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the family. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I like the logo on the left.

I think the most important thing to do now is to get the word out to everyone you know. Tell all your family and friends you are now in business.

What made you want to start your own business? What kind of work do you do at your other job? Did you ever consider other types of businesses as well?

badfish23
08-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Thank you for the advice.

I currently work at a service center that specializes in locomotive airbrake repairs. I'm a beginner purchasing agent/buyer. I order anything from inventory items for our parts room to the toilet paper for the bathroom, and everything in between.

What made me want to start my own business was the desire to earn more money, and be my own boss. I just recently turned 23 and I realized I dont want to have to work for someone my entire life. Living paycheck to paycheck. So I have decided I'm going to try to make a change.

Steve
08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh very interesting!

Are you affiliated with any groups in your area? religious, business, volunteer etc?

If so you could market yourself to these groups!

What's been the toughest part of starting and running your business so far?

Do you have any advise to other lcos just starting?