PDA

View Full Version : finally!

Ernest
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Last tuesday I had an offer to cut a lawn, she said that other lawn companies would say they would show up to look at the lawn they come give her a price, they give her a day to come back to cut it but that would be the end of it. she called me telling me that she found a flyer in some paper work on her computer desk and for some reason she kept it...the flyers work! so I gave her a day to look at the yard, told her I would come two days later. and needless to say I showed and I got the yard. she had another apointment with another company, but since I was the only one to show when told they would come. this was my first lawn but I seemed to have pulled it off, for this is a weekly account now. I just hope I am charging enough to make a little $$. Wish me luck for more business.

Steve
08-09-2007, 01:59 PM
That is awesome! Congratulations!

Quote[/b] ]I just hope I am charging enough to make a little $$.
What size yard is it and what was your bid?

08-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Keep pumping out those flyers. As a most of the country is in a heat wave. Fri and Sat nights are good times to toss out flyers. I repeat neighborhoods about every 5 weeks. or so.

When people get out to mow on Sat morning, they find my flier. Toss it in the garbage, start mowing, feel the heat... think to them selves. This suxs.. then they dig it out of the trash and give me a call. I get atleast one account for every 250 flyers I throw out.

Oh yea, congrats.. keep her lawn looking good and maybe you will get her neighbors.

Ernest
08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I told her $30.00 (I think that is a little low) but I figured maybe she can tell friends and family and get my name out a little, get more accounts and then pick the price up a tad. oh yeah the lot is 1/4 acre but I did not put a wheel on it tough, that is by her word. I did not want to charge an arm and leg because it is pretty much just a mow and go, not to much special no weed spraying or anything in that nature. but when I looked at the lawn she told me that it needed a good clean up (but it really was not that bad I don't know maybe it is just me) I told her I could do that I had confidence in me and her lawn. I wish I had taken pictures but I did not think of that until after I got home, maybe next week. I thank every one that has helped me thus for and for the future. by the way let me know about the price thing that is the most critical part of making the bids, I do not want to dig my own hole... need to make money so I can get better equipment. Everything I have is second hand and barely runs but it gets the job done.The flyers really work I am making more right now, Tommorrow is another day.:)

Little's
08-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Quote[/b] (Ernest @ Aug. 09 2007,4:17)]by the way let me know about the price thing that is the most critical part of making the bids, I do not want to dig my own hole...
I under bidded my first couple. But now I base my fees on $1 per minute of work. If it takes me about 45 minutes per week, I will charge $180 per month (45x4). I land about 75% of my bids. If they think it is too much, you probably dont want to work for them anyway.
Congrats on your first account!!!!

lawncareinnovations
08-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Congrats on ur 1st acct keep up da good work! What flyer u using?

landscape warrior
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Its a great feeling to get that first account but i get the same feeling on every account now http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Ernest
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Quote[/b] (lawncareinnovations @ Aug. 09 2007,9:28)]*What flyer u using?
I am using the one that asks "Are you paying too much?" I looked at it this way if I was the one who needed lawn work done that flyer would catch my attention

Steve
08-10-2007, 07:23 PM
What has been the best way you have found so faar to distribute your flyers?

Do you have any other big marketing plans coming up?

What will you be doing for the fall and winter?

tiedeman
08-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I personally feel that when you start out you have to sometimes go a littler lower not only to get the work for some income, but also to start establishing your name. Congrats by the way on the customer

Ernest
08-12-2007, 08:10 PM
So far, I got this lawn by putting them in the mailbox. I figured so that when they check the mail they already have it in their hand. I want to distribute more flyers around that nieghbor hood, try to keep it in the same area so that fuel would not be a problem. I am looking for a bigger truck my S-10 is not really made for doing this kind of work, but it is great for now. for the fall I was thinking of fabricating a clean up speacial, dont know about prices yet. and for the winter I can not offer anything in the area of snow removal since it does not snow in florida. so I was thinking of offering to take decorations down during the holidays.

What do you guys think of pressure washing, I was thinking of adding this to my services and what should I charge. I have a pressure washer and it is sitting around doing nothing.

Steve
08-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Quote[/b] ]So far, I got this lawn by putting them in the mailbox. I figured so that when they check the mail they already have it in their hand.
Did you know that is illegal? Legally you can't put anything in the mail box. I think you might be better off putting them in doors or using door hanger. We hear quite often how the postmaster will call a lawn care operator for doing this and make them take all the flyers out. You can also be fined! Yikes!

Quote[/b] ]What do you guys think of pressure washing, I was thinking of adding this to my services and what should I charge. I have a pressure washer and it is sitting around doing nothing.
I think it is worth experimenting with! Why not! Tony from AMW-Graphics used to run a pressure washing business. Maybe he can jump in here to offer pricing suggestions.

Ernest
08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I knew it was illegal to tamper with the mail, but I did not know about putting anything in the mail box. It would be a good idea to stay away from any kind of fine. How would I go about getting the door hangers and would I be able to print theme out on my home printer?

Steve
08-13-2007, 05:21 PM
There is door hanger template paper out there like this
http://www.blanksandbags.com/

Or you could go with the magnetic business card concept and stick them to the doors.

Or, you could, use pre-printed post-it notes! Did you know you could get them pre-printed with your message on them? Then you stick them to the door as well.

Do any of these ideas get you thinking?

Ernest
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Shure does, the post it idea. I like the concept of sticking it to the door, If you put in about the eye level your pretty much garanteed that it would be seen. I have been looking at this lawn. the grass seems to be a little tall for a couple of weeks and I have not ever seen a lawn company there, I am thinking of accually knocking on the door and offer them a quote. Thanks, real excited about trying to get another account.

Tommorrow is another day.:D

Ernest
08-21-2007, 10:30 AM
To keep you guys posted. I have just got word about another lawn owner, He told me that his current LCO is going out of business. He heard about my work and was considering me as his next lawn man.

BUT.... I have a slight delima, the torque converter in my truck is going out along with other parts that are bad. should I take the lawn or tell him that I can't at the moment and hope that he is still interested when I am available.

In the next month (september/October) I am getting a bigger truck. I hope an 1500 Silverado, so that it can handle the weight. for that is the reason for the torque conveter going out in my S-10 truck it can't handle the wieght.

What do you guys think I should do? I am thinking I should wait until I get the truck, Because if the truck breaks down then I don't have anyway to do the lawns. Tanks again guys.

Steve
08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmm, my first reaction is to take the lawn. How much would it take to get your torque converter fixed? Would this be something you would be able to do yourself?

Ernest
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I am not sure on the price but I can replace the torque converter myself, I do most of the mechanics work on my own. I am just worried about the down time, and also the fact that it would probably do it agian (Because of the wieght). I have a little 4cyl S-10, and it is not made to haul and pull with. The estimated total cost to fix the major items is almost $2,000. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif
The car lot where I bought my S-10 will Get a silverado on special request just for me. Maybe in the long run the silverado will be best, get the lawn and baby my truck for now. until the bigger truck comes. I should get the lawn I don't want to miss out on getting more accounts.

Steve
08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Yea I agree. Grab the business when you can. Let us know how everything goes with your truck situation!