PDA

View Full Version : Jim's logo design concept

Steve
11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Jim from Lawnscape wrote us and sent his logo. He is hoping for comments on how to improve it. Feel free to voice your opinion.

Steve
11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Jim,

My initial view is, it's a good start. How about making the border thicker. Maybe even addind some grass in it? There are plenty of grass images in the free logo section.

I am looking forwards to your updates!

turfman007
11-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Will the company telephone number be seperate or will it be incorporated into the above logo?

I often think the logo should reflect the "type" of business it is. For example, a plain looking logo might represent a "so-so" business while a "classy" logo" represents just that! The logo should say somthing powerful about your business, afterall, it is usually the first impression of who you are. Stay away from a menu type logo design where you highlight everything you do. A simple logo with a tag line should say it all.

Just my opinion.

Lawn-Scape
11-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Team Gopher,
Turfman007,

Thank you for setting up this thread to encourage comments to improve my logo. I put the logo together with Microsoft Word. I would like to try incorporating a few of the ideas listed; thicker boarder, grass and a phone number, just to see how it looks.

Is there a program I should be using to make the logo design process easier? Word doesn't seem to work too well when I keep adding to the original document.

tlclismore
11-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Guy's,

Just thought I'd point you in the direction of some Logo Creating software (if I'm allowed to ). Have a look at The Logo Creator by Laughing Bird Software. (http://www.thelogocreator.com)

I have used this for the creation of logos for a number of clients when I was running a Photography business.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ross

NickN
11-21-2005, 12:32 PM
If I remember correctly,Logo Creator won't allow you to create a logo suitable for enlarging.I.e.,, truck signs,trailer signs,yard signs,etc.,, It's basically for letterheads and small media.

NickN
11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Lawn Scapes,try Adobe illustrator or Photoshop.You can customize the size of your graphic,as well as the resolution.Most printers want at least 300dpi.

Steve
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Lawn-Scape,

As Nick said, if you want to make a small image logo for letterhead you can even use Microsoft paint. But if you want to scale it so that it doesn't lose image quality when you make it bigger, you will need to make it vector based.
This may not make any sense right now, but vector based is kinda like pdf files. You will need something like illustrator to do that.

You may not want to over complicate things to just get started and something like Microsoft Paint should be able to get you started.

tlclismore
11-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Quote[/b] (NickN @ Nov. 21 2005,3:32)]If I remember correctly,Logo Creator won't allow you to create a logo suitable for enlarging.I.e.,, truck signs,trailer signs,yard signs,etc.,, It's basically for letterheads and small media.
Your right Nick. I created the logo in logo creator then imported it into Photoshop CS2 and changed it to a vector based graphic at 600 dpi so that I could scale it up for large print media. A bit too complicated for the average joe but it worked for what I was doing at the time. (Only a thought though.)
Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance
Ross

xtreme lawn
11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Quote[/b] ]imported it into Photoshop CS2 and changed it to a vector based graphic
howd you do that?

tlclismore
11-23-2005, 04:40 AM
Use, group as smart object function in CS2 (it changes the piture to a vector graphic). Then change the size of the picture. (you might need 4 Gb of ram and a dam big second hard drive though)
Cheers Ross

Vick
02-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Greetings everyone, I am new to the forum.

I use XaraXtreme for alot of my graphic needs, vector, fast and cheap!

Here's the link:
http://xara.com/products/xtreme/default.asp?t=

Great forum and software Gopher! ;)

Vick.

Steve
02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Vick,

Can you post some of the work they have done for you?