PDA

View Full Version : Going into first full year

sts2660
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Hello all,Just moved to VA 2 years ago and started taking care of my sisters summer house last june.At the end of the summer I only had about 7 large lawns $65 to $120 per cut.
I started with a small John Deere ride on mower and after cutting the $120 lawn twice with it I bought a 60 inch bobcat zeroturn.
I did loose 3 this year due to forclosures on 2 of them and 1 that was a pain in the *** that I was happy to get rid of.I know she will be calling when the other guy gets tired of driving 30 miles each way.
Hopefully this will be a good summer

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Welcome aboard! What are your short and long term goals? Any experiences you wish to share with us?

Steve
03-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi sts2660,

Welcome!

Yes I would like to hear about your goals for the year! What's the greatest lesson you have learned about the green industry thus far that you could share?

sts2660
03-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Lets see my goals for the year would be to increase my buisiness to 20 lawns per week (the smallest lots down here are 1/2 acre).
I have started handing out flyers and plan on putting an 1/4 page ad in the local paper next week.I would like to offer more services like lot clearing,brush hoggin and rototilling,after I grow a little.

The biggest thing I learned last year was cut every lawn like it was your own.Dont leave anything unfinished.The one little thing you forget is the only thing the customer will see.
The second thing I learned was to get rid of the cheap pain in the butt customers.

Steve
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Quote[/b] ]The second thing I learned was to get rid of the cheap pain in the butt customers.
This is something that comes up quite often. When a business gets started, it will tke any customers it can. But as it grows and evolves it tends to want to pruge itself of a certain % of customers each year to make room for more profitable customers.

Good Point!

Do you have any pics of your truck or equipment you could share with us?