PDA

View Full Version : New member introducing myself!

VogelLawnService
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey everyone! My name is Dave Vogel im 20 years old. I am half owner of Vogel Lawn Service in South Jersey. My father owns the other half of the company. He helped me get started when i was 15 years old. I had about 10 lawns and he bought me a 36in lesco walk behind. The business has grew a great deal in the past 3 years. We now have about 150 weekly customers. We are currently getting ready to make the jump from one crew to two. Besides my father and I we have only 3 other employees at this point. I just bought the gopher software for this up comming spring and its making my life easier already. Thanks for letting me introduce myself!

-Vogel Lawn Service

p.s. team gopher i hope that offer still stands for a free logo. We currently dont have one lol! thanks!
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

tiedeman
02-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome Dave, great that you are here. That is a great story to hear. You have really grown. Tell us how did you grow so fast so quickly?

VogelLawnService
02-27-2007, 03:14 PM
My most effective advertising technique was going after neighbors. we make sure all our jobs are high quality. most of our new customers were neighbors and walkups. plus we decided to target only our town. it works for us because my town is extremely big. about 150,000 people in my town. less travel time means more money and we can handle more volume. besides neighbors and walk ups we blanked our town with signs. very basic signs that said LAWN SERVICE FREE ESTIMATES and our number really big. we were really surprized how effective they were. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Steve
02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Dave,

Quote[/b] ] we blanked our town with signs. very basic signs that said LAWN SERVICE FREE ESTIMATES and our number really big.

How did you choose where to place your signs? Did you ever run into any trouble with the township?

Here is the info on how to get the logo and website design offer. (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=26&t=2687&st=&&#entry13867)

VogelLawnService
02-28-2007, 07:12 AM
We ususally placed our signs at busy intersections with traffic lights. There are many lights in my town that you will sit at for very long. We targeted those first for the reason that the signs are so simple to read that most peopel dont have to think about the sign and just right the number down. Our township does have an ordinance with signs. They have to be a certain distance from the street. So if our signs were too close the township would take them. If you find your sign missing you goto the municiple building and pick it up.

Steve
02-28-2007, 07:19 AM
That is some great insight! What kind of signs do you use? Are they wooden or colorplast? http://www.jennco.net/media/images/plastswatch%20copy%202.jpg or what?

Do you have any pictures of them you could show us?

VogelLawnService
02-28-2007, 07:32 AM
mostly colorplast. some get destroyed and some get stolen. but we get a good volume of calls from them so they are worth the money.

Steve
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Very interesting!

What do you find will be your biggest hurdle this year?

What advise would you have for other lcos just getting started?