PDA

View Full Version : New to site - wanna share wisdom

Dakota Scapes
01-26-2007, 01:49 AM
summary:
owned lawn service, about 75 accounts, it put me thru college, graduated, sold buisness, began career as the primary structural designer for subcontractor in the petro chemical industry, spent 9 years drawing and designing everthing and anything, over the course of those 9 years I moonlighted doing landscape and maint. projects, then BAM-CRASH-BOOM, Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans area, wipes out workplace, thankfully my house was ok, no job, 6 month old son, just got married. What was I gonna do? And I better do something quick...So I decided to 3 days after the storm to purchase a track loader (50k), I figured I could at least help out with the clean up and make a few bucks. At this point im still evacuated in San Antonio, Texas. Well I make it back to Louisiana and it looks like a war zone. I start talking to people, and find out these "out of towners" are coming in and ripping people off, by preying on thier shock and amazement of what Katrina did to thier homes and lives. Some contractors were charging as much $10k to take 3 trees off of houses and just stack it by the curb. Outrageous. Well I started knocking on doors and passing out flyers but i charged about $500 a tree for big ones well word spread and buisness flooded in, made some important contacts along the way, began maintenace and landscape division and 1 crew. Jumped right into lawn care and landscaping design and I am doing pretty good.

well ill post some pics and show yall the enclosed trailer setup -very efficient, ohh yeah and my badboy-Takeuchi TL140 track loader (with a/c) oyeah.

I look forward to talking with everyone. Brian

Steve
01-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum! What a story! I am looking forwards to seeing your pictures. Could you show us some of your area and your new equipment?

Dakota Scapes
01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Please take a moment and say Hello

skyjack_1
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Hello Brian,

Nice to have you here. My name is Ben. New here too. Good luck in business.

southernslang
01-29-2007, 07:25 PM
hello brian.
im from new orleans too. maybe we can hook up sometime.
im curently looking for someone that has a dump trailer i can rent for a day, everyone i talk to only rents for a week at a time.