PDA

View Full Version : nebie here!

southernslang
11-15-2006, 08:42 AM
hello everone ,im Blaine aka southernslang.im new to the biz and have learnd so much about it since i have startedback in april.
i have a question for anyone in southeast louisiana.
what do you do for work in the winter?

Steve
11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi Blaine,

Welcome to the site!

Was your area effected by Katrina?

When you look around your area do you see others offering services you could be offering too during the slower months?

southernslang
11-15-2006, 10:37 PM
yea, where i live was one of the hardest hit ares .theres lots of work here but the scammer have made it so hard for people like me to get work its crazy.
i also do house gutting and yard clean up and every thing ,but as far as construction people wanna see alot of credentials. and thats where the big money is.
but anywho this is my first season and realy dint understand when people say it gets slow in the winter that they realy understate it .its only november and its almost at a screeching hault,this was real unexpected. the income i make through my lawn care biz is very depended on by my family,and christmas is around the corner,plus my truck died yesterday .

Steve
11-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh!

Can I ask how you got into this business? What did you do before?

southernslang
11-16-2006, 08:32 AM
i ran a body shop for about 5 years befor the storm. not long after, i came across a good deal on a truck trailer and equipment.
my intintion was to buy and sell, but a freind of mine thats been in the lawn biz told me how much money was in it.so i gave it a try.
that was back in april. this is my first slow season,and gets kinda scary to me,so pardon me if i freak out a little.

Steve
11-16-2006, 04:43 PM
What did you like or dislike about the body business?

southernslang
11-16-2006, 10:51 PM
basicly since the storm,i lost all of my tools and equipment,and the economy for automobiles has gone to hourse doo doo down here.
im still in the auto biz its just not like it was befor.

Steve
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Do you have any pictures of your area you could share with us and post on here?

southernslang
11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
yea i have like 3 diposible cameras that i never got developed,but when i go to town a little later ill let you see the destruction,that we still face every day post katrina .
mayor just order more searches for remains in the part of town where im from, in N.O. east it will be 20 to 30 years befor that part of town will ever se normal.:(

Steve
11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
It's such a shame. Most of us outside your area have no idea how things are now in your area. The news media seemed to lose interest in reporting on the after effects of the storm.

southernslang
11-18-2006, 10:53 PM
all the media wants to cover is the media,they dont care about the people or the city.but ill give you a small news flash .the city is coming back slowly but surely. the people thats her are for the long hall and the ones that are gone are gone for good.so theres nothing in the way to keep us from rebuilding.

Steve
11-19-2006, 02:58 AM
How was it decided who could stay and who had to evacuate? Was it just if your house was liveable after the storm you could stay basically?

southernslang
11-19-2006, 07:55 AM
everone was under madatory evacuation,but becouse of years of faulse alarm bairly any body left, only the ones that could afford it. plus they could'nt force us out of ou homes if they couldn't shelter us.
the super dome and convition center dint open as a shelter till after the storm,after it was to late .so alot of people did what we always do.ice down all the ice chest buy beer ,bar-b-q stuf and thow what we call hurricane parties,nobody expected this.

Steve
11-19-2006, 09:47 PM
WOW!
Have your other friends or people you know had problems losing their businesses? How did they handle it?

southernslang
12-04-2006, 07:44 PM
most of my freinds where in construction prior to.
but alot of my family in some of the hardest hit areas where im from still dont have basic utilitys to even start rebuilding.
i dont even go there b/c it hurts just to see it like that.
i will be in the lakeveiw area tomorow and i will take some pic for you guys to see

Steve
12-05-2006, 08:15 AM
I am looking forwards to seeing your pictures.