PDA

View Full Version : How can I get an applicators license?

musician/lawnman
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I'd like to expand into pest & weed control & be an all-in-one company here but as I understand it you gotta have 3 yrs experiance working for a licensed company to apply for this license...... theres gotta be another way!? I can't close my business for 3 years just to get this license.

F3Nelson
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Are you sure about that? Its been a while since Ive dealt with that, but all we had to do was take a course and pass a test, no one had been with a licensed company for 3 years, that sounds kinda crazy to me

Steve
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
We were talking about this not too long ago and there are a bunch of different requirements. I do think that you can just apply for the license. Have you checked out your state's license application requirements?

makbootzy
04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I just did a search on yahoo...."applicator license kansas" showed a .gov link and tells you how to get a license.
The bottom of the page said

" For you to use your commercial certification to perform pesticide application work for compensation, you need to do one of the following:
Work as an employee of a business that is properly licensed to perform pesticide application work in the categories of your certification; or
Obtain your own Pesticide Business License (Pesticide Business) to perform pesticide application work."

F3Nelson
04-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Quote[/b] (makbootzy @ April 03 2008,8:17)]I just did a search on yahoo...."applicator license kansas" showed a .gov link and tells you how to get a license.
The bottom of the page said

" For you to use your commercial certification to perform pesticide application work for compensation, you need to do one of the following:
Work as an employee of a business that is properly licensed to perform pesticide application work in the categories of your certification; or
Obtain your own Pesticide Business License (Pesticide Business) to perform pesticide application work."
Like I said, its been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time

We had our KPL number on all our trucks, and nobody had 3 years with someone else.........................

musician/lawnman
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm not imagining this I promise!
Here is another thread about it I just found.
http://www.********.com/showthread.php?t=3794

Here is a full article on the subject
http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/02-03-10b.htm

clarklandscaping
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
In Florida it is a requirement that you have the 3 years experience and that at least 1 year be hands on. I know this because I left the pest control industry to start my own business. The CPCO test is hard as #### and I would recommend you study long and hard before attempting to take it. I didnt take it but I hear that the L&O test is even harder and Im sure this is the license that you desire.

musician/lawnman
04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
We'll the L&O gets you th ability to spray plant beds with week killer (& yes I want that too) but the full license enables you to treat lawns for pests, bugs, fungus etc.

The test, while I'm sure it is hard doesn't really intimidate me though. I passed the test to get my insurance license (I sold health & life ins. products for a while & still have my license) which has a higher fail rate than the bar exams after law school. I do testing well. I passed that test with 94%,
80% is required to pass. The women who ran the test center flipped out. The one lady told me she'd been there for 13 years & has never seen a score in the 90's, EVER. She said a high score is 86-87% and that that was very rare only once or twice a year!

I felt pretty good about that. But Regardless of how well I learn & retain information.... I can't fake experiance I don't have so I don't know how I could attain the full license.