PDA

View Full Version : non-paying customer

landonkade
12-13-2007, 11:20 PM
i have a customer that hasn't paid me in over a month for his service, we call and call him leaving messages, and he wont return our phone calls, and i was wondering is there any letters pertaining to that, and if he don't pay i turn him into collections, and maybe that might make him pay

letters stating, i will have to turn him into collections if we do not receive payment for service

FourSeasons
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Another one?
Didn't you have a problem with a non paying customer a not that long ago?

Its to bad you still have to be nice to non payers to get your money. Especially when they intentionally ignore you.

I have one right now. Bout 2 months overdue now.

Little's
12-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Have you thought about offering to let him pay you in small increments and try to avoid any kind of legal mess. It would keep you in good standing and less of a chance of getting a bad name.
Chances are, if you turn it over to credit, you'll never get paid anyway. If he wont answer the phone, let him know on the answering machine that you are understanding and would like to work it out. If you need to you can leave a letter (a thank you for your business card might do the trick) on his door and see what happens.
Good luck.

landonkade
12-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Dec. 13 2007,11:37)]Another one?

Its to bad you still have to be nice to non payers to get your money. Especially when they intentionally ignore you.

yeah he finally paid not to long ago, i don't service him anymore either,lol. But now i need to find collection letters to send out to get my money. The service fee is $45

realhuntin
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Dec. 13 2007,11:50)]Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Dec. 13 2007,11:37)]Another one?

yeah he finally paid not to long ago, i don't service him anymore either,lol. But now i need to find collection letters to send out to get my money. The service fee is $45
Sorry your going thought this, If it were I. I would walk away from it. I might send one certified attempt to collect a debit letter, and if no responce I would forget it and move on. spend your time in a profitable way. If it was $450 then I would pursue it more.

Good Luck

01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
[B]Well here's my thoughts on this subject. I preety much know my customers, most have been looong term. I know the ones to worry about and the ones not to. Most my people pay on time. Some I know they'll pay as soon as they can. Occasionally some one will fall on hard times and the lawn guy is the least of their worries. But I never give up on getting paid. I of course will suspend their service and try to make some sort of payment plan with them. Most people are agreeable to that AND when times are better for them will resume services. This year I had 1 customer that owed me 460 dollars. He made a couple of 100 dollar payments during the latter part of the summer but then payments stopped. A few weeks ago I stopped by his house and made him a offer in compromise. I told him that if he could write me a check for 175 dollars we'd be square. He was grateful and went and wrote the check. He also said to start up services again n the spring and we agreed that he would pay monthly in advance.
1 or 2 services I might would blow off after a few attempts if it was a new customer ... an established customer who has always paid in the past, I'd work with, maybe try and figure out why I'm not getting paid. Bad service? Hard times?
I always try and treat people the way I'd like to be treated. I've had my share of hard times.

ABurlison
01-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I agree for such a little amount it might not be worth the trouble, but if it were me, I would just simply visit the home when I know they will be home, and just see what might be causing the whole situation, might be an easy resolution. For all you know, they left the state to take care of an ailing parent or something, you never know.

All Aspects Landscaping
01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
after exhausting all other options, you can go to your local municipal building and issue a summons for theft of good and services. It sucks that you have to go that far, but usually this kind of action will get an immediate response... We go after every dime... chances are if they get this far you dont want them back anyways... as long as it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg... its only time... Our collection company charges 30% across the board... he goes after as low as 30.00!?! Like I said,,, hes doing the work and at least I get something... lol

Steve
01-27-2008, 12:57 PM
James,

Do you want to give your collection company a plug here?

FourSeasons
01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
How do you turn a account over to a collection agency?
What is the process?
I have a customer that wont pay me and moved. All I have is her phone number and the neighbor told me what city they moved to. I call her and she doesn't call back.

If I don't have her address then I can't serve her papers for court.

ABurlison
01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Did she move within your same state?

You could just look up in your local phone book for collection agencies in your area, and all you do is give them proof of what is owed to you and they charge their fee and try and collect this debt.

If you proceed with the court, then you could sue for what she owes you plus all your court fees combined, and I believe if you give them her last known address, they might be able to track her down to serve the papers.

All Aspects Landscaping
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Trust me, the state knows where she moved. Plus you can also start by contacting the Post Office... She has to have her mail forwarded somehow. Plus you have her last known address and i would go to the police station in the town she last lived in and talk to a clerk or an officer if you can grab one... they can also start you in the right direction... do it now, its january. Come March, the money she owes you will be forgotten due to the 20 hr days!! I pursue everyone.. just for the fact that if they do it to me, then theyll do it to the next guy and the next guy... and theyve probably done in to the guy before me... Its funny how all of a sudden people come out of the woodworks and start calling when they get court papers or a third party collection company starts calling them. Let me know how it turns out.

FourSeasons
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Quote[/b] ]Plus you can also start by contacting the Post Office... She has to have her mail forwarded somehow.
James-
Can we go in there and ask the post office?
For some reason I could never get the invoice to get to her house before she moved. It always got returned so finally I left it on her door knob with a rubber band.

What makes me so mad is that she was all Oh yeah and when I move I'll have you come out to my new house and do a bunch of work.
Then she moved and I can't get her ot answer her phone.
I'll try the post office though first and see where that gets me.
Thanks

All Aspects Landscaping
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Did you send a certified letter?? That would also be a way maybe to track her. Sounds funny, but did you google her name?? I had done that for an old friend of mine and it turned out she recently bought a house and her name was in the real estate transaction section of the newspaper. Im in south jersey, this is a philly paper, so you can figure they have alot of info to sort thru... Also, ask an officer... its a start. Or if you have the nuts, knock up on the new owners door and ask if they know whereabouts she moved... let me know

All Aspects Landscaping
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
you can always try this:

People finder (http://www.peoplefinders.com/searches/people.aspx?CMP=KNC-ggl&HBX_PK=find+someone&HBX_OU=50&gclid=CIDFk-GZmpECFQmgGgodoGsaPg)

Little's
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
The people finder took my money. I used them and it cost me like $60 for the premium report, which had nothing in it except for an address that was more than 8 years old. I contacted them and they refused to give me my money back. Waste.

FourSeasons
01-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Quote[/b] ]Or if you have the nuts, knock up on the new owners door and ask if they know whereabouts she moved... let me know

She was renting. But the property managers sign is in the yard with the number for new renters to see. I will contact them. Tell them who I am and the situation and they might give me some direction.

And I tried google also. Nothing but a bunch of finds for some singer that has the same name as her.

I did try to do it thru phone records via online but you have to pay. And I'm not going to pay when there is other routes to try first.
Thanks again James.

Little's
01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Try this..
http://zabasearch.com

All Aspects Landscaping
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
good call brandon... i never used any of these services, just came up of a few different web searches...

Sucks cause someone knows where this lady went...just gotta find out who...

FourSeasons
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
wow thats a pretty cool site. I found myself and some other people on there.

James- sounds like you and some others on here have no tolerance for late and non payers. Thats good. I need to start enforcing my late payment rules. It can only help me more if I do. Its to bad we are always last to get paid.

Steve
01-29-2008, 06:40 AM
James would you recommend your collection agency to other lawn care business owners?

All Aspects Landscaping
01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Turnbrook Associates
Tom

work 1-856-232-7722
work fax 856-232-7733

I guess you could give me some props and mention my name... jamie from all aspects landscaping...

And yes we do take our late payments seriously... In fact, my wife will be on the phone tomorrow making them calls and actually knocking on doors... Good Luck... I still wanna know how you guys make out...

All Aspects Landscaping
01-30-2008, 04:51 PM
BTW... steve, you never got back to me on those PMs I sent you on monday or tuesday.

All Aspects Landscaping
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
anything come of this matter Matt?

Steve
01-31-2008, 02:41 PM
James, I don't think I got a PM from you. Can you resend it?

All Aspects Landscaping
01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Are you getting any of my PMs steve?/

UniversityLandscapers
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't know if it works differently in Canada, but to collect money here you just file it in small claims court...you basically show up and they tell the guy to give you the money.