PDA

View Full Version : Fertilization

stricklyg79
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I live and work in coastal Georgia (about an hour west of Savannah). What would be the best fertilizer and best fertilizer instruction for me... I am NEW at this as you can tell!!

pmblair
01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I can't really answer that question for you, but being a fellow Georgian (I live about 20 minutes south of Atlanta in Fayetteville), I wanted to make sure that you have gotten your contractor's license and applicators license... without those, you're not legally allowed to use fertilizer on a customer's lawn.

Just wanted to make sure you already knew that... = )

stricklyg79
01-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow! Now you see why I am on here for help! Thanks... instructions for obtaining these? Cost??

pmblair
01-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Let's see.... the cost for the test for the applicator's license is $45 I believe. You NEED to study for this before taking the test... and of course, you have to buy study materials.

I don't know if there is even a cost for the contractor's license, but I DO know that you have to have proof of General Liability insurance** before you can obtain such a license.

Contact the Department of Agriculture to find out all the specifics. (Georgia Department of Agriculture website (http://agr.georgia.gov/))

**If you're not already insured, I would recommend doing this anyway... you can get a good $1,000,000 policy for about $500/year. Not bad! Check with your local insurance agencies for more information about that.

Hope this information helps.

makbootzy
01-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Jan. 07 2008,12:08)]Let's see.... the cost for the test for the applicator's license is $45 I believe. *You NEED to study for this before taking the test... and of course, you have to buy study materials.

I don't know if there is even a cost for the contractor's license, but I DO know that you have to have proof of General Liability insurance** before you can obtain such a license.

Contact the Department of Agriculture to find out all the specifics. *(Georgia Department of Agriculture website (http://agr.georgia.gov/))

**If you're not already insured, I would recommend doing this anyway... you can get a good $1,000,000 policy for about $500/year. *Not bad! *Check with your local insurance agencies for more information about that.

Hope this information helps.
I just got a quate Thursday $1,000,000.00 for $300/year http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I think you should shop around first.

pmblair
01-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Wow! What all does that cover/include?

ABurlison
01-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Yes, Please share the company you went through, and their website?

THANKS

ABurlison
01-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Never did see a response to this?

ritchiem
01-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Pretty much standard everywhere now to get your license for applying fert/weed control now.

Test can be difficult...don't forget your calculator. Well at least the Ontario testing was hard. Hehe, now I know how much chem to apply to 100acres of corn fields...man all I wanted the license for was to apply round up.

realhuntin
01-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Quote[/b] (pmblair @ Jan. 06 2008,11:49)]make sure that you have gotten your contractor's license and applicators license... without those, you're not legally allowed to use fertilizer on a customer's lawn.
If the EPA catches you doing this (trust me they are out there policing the areas looking for this) with out the proper licenses you can be fine up to $10k, each state has different laws on this and Patrick is right check with your states dept. of ag. for licensing and certifications BEFORE you put 1 granular of fert down on someone elses yard.

ABurlison
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I talked to a guy the other day in my town, he has 8 employees, 4 truck & trailer crews, and he said not one of his guys is licensed for fertilizer and he stated he has had a few warning, but never any action for it. I was just asking him about whether I needed a license for fertilizer only, and that's what he told me, and his company is very large, he said he has a couple accounts by themselves that are 5-6k a month each. Its not that I wanna go around this and not get a license, but does the government really need more of my hard earned $$?

makbootzy
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
"Valdez, Max - American Family Insurance
(913) 682-7311 " That is who I called out of leavenworth, Kansas

realhuntin
01-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Quote[/b] (ABurlison @ Jan. 13 2008,3:22)]I talked to a guy the other day in my town, he has 8 employees, 4 truck & trailer crews, and he said not one of his guys is licensed for fertilizer and he stated he has had a few warning, but never any action for it. *I was just asking him about whether I needed a license for fertilizer only, and that's what he told me, and his company is very large, he said he has a couple accounts by themselves that are 5-6k a month each. *Its not that I wanna go around this and not get a license, but does the government really need more of my hard earned $$?
If you play with fire you will get burned. Sooner or later it will happen. So basicly ask yourself DO I ROLL THE DICE?

Heres the thing you could be like this other guy never get a license and provide this type of service. oh btw if something ever happened with a customer and they blamed you for providing the services and not being licensed your insurance co will NOT cover it so guess who gets stuck with the bill and God forebid something happen to a kid playing in a yard that has been treated and signs ignored. Have you ever seen what Nitrogen or Ammonia Nitrate can do if over exposed to the skin? especialy a younger child with tender skin.

Be smart learn what your doing and get licensed. Think smart don't get caught up in the wow look at all the money I can make. Being a responsible business owner is just as important as doing good professional work.

AS far as the GOV getting more of your money, the license and testing fees will be less than a law suit!

Hope this sheds some light on this, it is from the Iowa State University.

by Mark Hanna, Extension Agricultural Engineer, Department of Agriculture and Biosystems Engineering, and John E. Sawyer, associate professor, Department of Agronomy

Because of abnormal nitrogen fertilizer production, import, and supply this year and with perhaps a short spring application season, some crop producers may use a form of nitrogen fertilizer with which they are unaccustomed. A review of application equipment considerations can help ensure that your nitrogen fertilizer is properly applied. This article focuses on anhydrous ammonia and is the second in a series of three articles about nitrogen fertilizer application and equipment.

Safety when using anhydrous ammonia is a primary consideration. Direct exposure to skin can cause caustic burns because ammonia bonds with water. Long sleeves and pants, lined rubber gloves, and unvented goggles are standard personal protective gear. Exposure to eyes can result in blindness, and inhalation that damages lung tissue can be fatal. A properly fitted respirator with ammonia cartridges is recommended for operators who frequently work with valves and other connections. Because ammonia is under pressure inside hose lines, fittings, and knives it is important to inspect equipment and keep it in good repair. A 5-gallon water supply should be readily available and a 6-ounce plastic squeeze bottle carried on the operator for immediate treatment of an accidental exposure.

For the complete article and this is only one of many here is a link to it.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2001/4-9-2001/aa.html

Please read. Thanks Tim

ABurlison
01-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Yes, I agree, I'm checking into the training class and certification.

camigda
02-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I have not even heard of this in Colorado, does anyone know if it applies here? If so, where would one take the test?

Steve
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Try here.

Colorado Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicator Dept. (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1200238775588&pagename=Agriculture-Main%2FCDAGLayout)
Applicator Licensing (303) 239-4146
Applicator Testing (303) 239-4148

camigda
02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
wow, was that a joke? Dept of Homeland Security because I want to fertilize a property or two??? This is nuts and sorry I asked. We wonder why people don't comply!

Steve
02-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I know, I didnt expect that either. Well you can always give them a call and let us know how it turns out.

camigda
03-01-2008, 09:49 PM
not a bad idea, however, don't know if I want to open up that can of worms. Thanks for the address though. Any Colorado people out there who have done this and what was your experience?
cmig