PDA

View Full Version : 2 year degree require to apply fert?

Steve
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I just happened to catch this but, I didn't know you had to have at least a two year college degree in turf science to be eligible to apply fertilizer? Does that make sense or am I misreading this?

"2. Provide documentation that you have completed a formal, post-high school degree — two year minimum — in turf or turf-related field;"

WOW

Getting started growing a lawn care business (http://www.kpcnews.com/articles/2008/02/23/features/business_news/doc47c00cfae3ea1969151473.txt) - Indiana law says that anyone who wants to apply turf pesticides (and that includes weed killers, weed and feed products, insecticides, and other over-the-counter pesticides) for hire must be licensed to do so. To obtain a commercial turf pesticide applicator for hire license, you’ll have to complete an examination process. This includes passing a core test that addresses the fundamentals of pesticide use and passing a category exam that covers the specifics of turf pesticide applications.

You’re also going to have to do one of the following: 1. Complete 90 days’ active experience as a licensed commercial turf pesticide applicator or registered technician in Indiana or another state having a comparable program; 2. Provide documentation that you have completed a formal, post-high school degree — two year minimum — in turf or turf-related field; 3. Establish that you have at least one year of active experience as a licensed commercial pesticide applicator (any type of pesticide application) in Indiana or another state; 4. Attend a practical, hands-on workshop reviewed and approved by the state.

If you are interested in entering the business of lawn pest control and cannot meet requirements 1, 2 or 3 above, Purdue Pesticide Programs has a workshop for you. We are pleased to announce an approved workshop on March 17 and 18 that will enable you to satisfy requirement 4. Note that the purpose of this workshop is to satisfy requirement 4 only. It is not intended as certification exam preparation. No exams will be offered at the conclusion of the workshop.

Recognize also that enrollment will be limited, so register early. Please submit a registration form soon, with accompanying payment ($250) to: CEC Business Services-Stewart Center Room 110-128 Memorial Mall-West Lafayette, IN 47907-2034, or fax with credit card information to (765) 494-0567. Forms are available at the Purdue Extension Office-Noble County by calling 1-800-601-5826 or 636-2111. If you have any questions regarding workshop content, or if you need further clarification as to whether it will meet your needs, call (765) 494-4567.

tjgray
02-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Steve it says that you have to have ONE of the following requirements...

You wouldn't need the college degree if you had the on the job experience...

I personally wish that the chemical application laws were a lot stricter and more regulated than they really are....

We pay a lot of money and Donald worked many years under someone else to have the right to apply chemicals...it makes me crazy to see so many around here spraying them illegally...

Steve
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Quote[/b] ]Steve it says that you have to have ONE of the following requirements...

Oh! LOL I just saw that and I was blown away. I figure it's only a matter of time before you need a college degree to do it.