PDA

View Full Version : might add irrigation to lawn care

landonkade
09-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I have seen there is good money to be made in installing irrigation systems. How would i get started doing it, i do have a friend that installs them, but dont know what all to do, i have seen it done, but want to know how and whats needed so i can add that to the lawn care was of pressure washing

Steve
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Did you ever see this site?

They sell a video on how to get into the irrigation business.

I was sent the video from them in the past and it was pretty informative.

Little's
09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I got started doing it by installing an irrigation system in my own yard. I went into it knowing nothing, and when I was done, I realized it was so easy, I started offering it as a service, and have made lots of money doing it.

Steve
09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
That is a great idea! How much of your business now is irrigation installation?

Steve
09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Did you take any pictures of it? How did you market that you were offering irrigation?

Little's
09-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I didnt take any pictures, but I should have. One thing I found is that Property managemant companies have a lot of irrigation work that needs done. Maybe its because of all the renters in the homes that dont maintain the system, but they are always calling me to fix sprinklers, rebuild valves, replace timers etc. Just last week I was called to do a system check, and I ended up replacing 1 impact sprinkler, rebuild 4 valves, replaced 1 pop up, then program the timer. It took me 2 hours. I charged them $45 for parts, and $195 for labor. Good profit for easy work!

Steve
09-17-2007, 10:42 PM
That is excellent! Which has been the toughest to do so far? The most technically challenging?

Is there any way you could take some video of you doing any of these jobs so that we could put it online to share with others? I think it would be fantastic!

Little's
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I would need a video camera. Dont have one right now, but it is a possibility.

Steve
09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Well if you do get one, let us know!

What was the toughest part so far about installing irrigation parts?

Turf Talk
09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Sep. 16 2007,11:03)]I have seen there is good money to be made in installing irrigation systems. How would i get started doing it, i do have a friend that installs them, but dont know what all to do, i have seen it done, but want to know how and whats needed so i can add that to the lawn care was of pressure washing
Hi Landonkade,

I have done some basic maintenance on golf course irrigation systems and also did some installation jobs in the homeowners and property maintenance side of things. I also had no idea on how it was done at first but you have to start somewhere, the first thing i did was i went to my local hardware store picked up a basic backyard irrigation kit and installed it, layed it all out on the canopy of the turf without doing any digging and made sure it was all working fine with no leaks etc... then started on installing the pipes underground, some of the basic kits come with an instruction manual just to help you get going and this will help you understand the concept of how it works. This was all done just using town water pressure off a tap, the next project you can set for yourself is setting up a timer and add this onto the system. this will be probably require you to go to your local plumber or irrigation dealer and ask them how to set up the hydraulic valves/wires to the timer. once you get the hang of it, its pretty straight forward. its only when you start to deal with high pressure systems/pumps you may need to do a training course or certificate for this...

Also you can check out [www.toro.com] click on the homeowner section & then click on irrigation, do it yourself irrigation is the first thing you will see on the picture. they have alot good info here which may help you get started.

If you need any further help I have a few irrigation techs regsitered with my forums at [www.turftalk.org]

Scott Bursky
Website Admin
TURF TALK - Networking Turf managers, Greenkeepers & lawn Care Professionals Worldwide... Forums, Articles & More....

<a href="http://www.turftalk.org/content.cfm">http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x173/turftalkgreenkeepers/banner_homepage-2.jpg

S.I.
09-29-2007, 12:35 AM
First of all does your "buddy" do this proffessionally? If he is proffessional then sub this work to him maybe work with him on the project that you sub ****GET EDUCATED BEFORE WORKING ON SOMEONE ELSES YARD****if you do not it will only be problems...............

Do not use these ready make kits from home stores .........These kits are crap, even from the major name manufacturers 99% of manufacturers run at least 2 lines of products one contractor grade , the other home owner or consumer grade (like mower manufacturers) consumer grade is what you are buying at hardware and home stores.........find a supplier distributer or local contractor to buy your parts (tip: I buy all my parts through a supplier that is actually 400 miles away and pay a considerable amount less for contractor grade than I would for residential grade at home/hardware store)

Check local codes and regulations on irrigation installs - some places require a liscence to do this ............... almost all require licensed plumber to hook into home plumbing (this starts at around $450 here) DO NOT connect sprinkler system to outside spicket. This is not only asking for problems, it is bad form and trashy.......looks and function are very unproffessional

A good start would be to check manufacturer web sites lots of information on these sites (RainBird has, or at least had, a good FREE information book on their website download pdf file - something like 500 pages, start with this read front to back)

UNRgrounds
10-09-2007, 06:18 PM
S.I. I agree with you. Atleast in NV here, a contractors license is required to do any installing of irrigation systems. They are pretty straight forwards though. I do tons of repairs weekly on UNR's campus. Good luck though, its profitable.

11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
First not to toot my horn but i am an irrigation expert ask me any question regarding trouble shooting and function and i can answer it most likely. I dont use all brands but most of them i have experience with.
Contact a big irrigation supplyu house like john deere landscapes ask when they are going to have an install class. I dont install anymore but maintain sytems start up and shut down. My biggest install was 160 Rotorheads and over 1 mile of drip w/ individual emitters to over 100,000 in plant material. I was only on the irrigation. The problem w/ installs is you cant see underground. I live in NH "the granite state" so it is rocky. You can rent a pipe puller, tools are minimal until you get into wire trackers. I spent almost $1,000 on a good wire tracker. I can find a bad valve that has grass grown over the cover, i can find a wire break underground. Service is where it is at you charge port to port travel time. Parts are retail w/ 40 % discounts for wholesale. Valve wires are always getting chewed on by mice, aerators and snowplows ruin heads. Lighting strikes are the best they will fry the clock and valves. Heads will stick and get hit by mowers. Solonoids will get stuck open or closed. HOWEVER you need to install to get a good understanding of how to trouble shoot a system. If zone 5,6,7 doesnt come on is it the clock? Is it the valve? Is it the wire? Is it a crushed pipe? Whats the resistance? Do you have voltage on the clock terminal, at the valve, will the valve open manually? Is there debris between the diaphram and valve seat causing weapage? Is the sytem not working because the pressure dropped because the town is flushing fire hydrants? Is the backflow preventer working. Did some kid put a tennis ball down your 3" pipe at the athletic field causing a blockage, If someone can tell me how to upload a pdf ile to this site i will post a copy of my irrigation contract w/ costs of materials

Steve
11-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the post.

To attach a file click on the add reply button and then in the new window click on the browse button.

Let me know if that helps.

FourSeasons
11-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow. Mike you are pretty knowledgable about this business.

Little's
11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I would like to see your contract too. Thanks

coi
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Any word on getting that contract? I am very interested in this topic and really could use a contract to work with.

Thanks

Chad

Steve
01-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Something must have happened to the forum database and Mike's account got deleted some how.

I have been trying to get in touch with him.

If you are interested in this contract can you email him at Mshaw160@comcast.net and if he shares it with you can you get it up on the forum?

Thanks!

PremierLand
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
There is more money into it, and alot less overhead. However training employees that are not familiar with irrigation is more extensive than training to cut lawns.

landonkade
02-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Quote[/b] (PremierLand @ Feb. 11 2008,1:42)]There is more money into it, and alot less overhead. However training employees that are not familiar with irrigation is more extensive than training to cut lawns.
how much does installing irrigations systems usually cost to install for a home owner. I know it depends on the heads and misters and all. Some of my jobs run around $2,000. Also i usually get half up front to cover my costs for material and all.

So what is the average price range that they run. Some people have told me that it could run from $1,500-$10,000 or more depending on the size of the yard and materials, labor and all used.

So let me know

PremierLand
02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Feb. 12 2008,8:37)]Quote[/b] (PremierLand @ Feb. 11 2008,1:42)]There is more money into it, and alot less overhead. However training employees that are not familiar with irrigation is more extensive than training to cut lawns.
how much does installing irrigations systems usually cost to install for a home owner. I know it depends on the heads and misters and all. Some of my jobs run around $2,000. Also i usually get half up front to cover my costs for material and all.

So what is the average price range that they run. Some people have told me that it could run from $1,500-$10,000 or more depending on the size of the yard and materials, labor and all used.

So let me know
My friend, Just like lawn pricing, each property is different. There is no standard per house. One house may require 2 zones, and have 3 hunter rotors per zone and a straight shot to the water main, and another house could have 2 zones with 8 mist heads and the watermain may be wrapped all the way around the house.

It all depends on the job, Ive heard guys in my area getting $600 or so per zone not including the timer or VB, which isnt all that much IMO.

all the money is in the service, but in order to get the service clients you need to install a few systems.

landonkade
02-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Quote[/b] (PremierLand @ Feb. 16 2008,10:51)]Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Feb. 12 2008,8:37)]Quote[/b] (PremierLand @ Feb. 11 2008,1:42)]There is more money into it, and alot less overhead. However training employees that are not familiar with irrigation is more extensive than training to cut lawns.

So let me know
My friend, Just like lawn pricing, each property is different. There is no standard per house. One house may require 2 zones, and have 3 hunter rotors per zone and a straight shot to the water main, and another house could have 2 zones with 8 mist heads and the watermain may be wrapped all the way around the house.

It all depends on the job, Ive heard guys in my area getting $600 or so per zone not including the timer or VB, which isnt all that much IMO.

all the money is in the service, but in order to get the service clients you need to install a few systems.
o ok, yeah i am coming into ALOT of landscaping and irrigation and all, getting calls off my website already. So for i have a $5,000 landscape job(entire front yard and side), $2,400 irrigation job, 3 $150 each or little more fall/spring clean-ups, $350 clean up, $700 to add more irrigation heads and remove some heads and set them and add new timer, $400 landscape job(small). And i do landscaping, irrigation, and sodding for some construction companies.

so just in all this listed is about $9,300- (total on all jobs listed)

So far so good and its not even spring yet