PDA

View Full Version : new guy needs advice

jab1472
12-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi guys my name is Jay, I' m new to the forum and I have a small lawn care company that I run on the weekend. The question I have is, how do I know when to make the move from my full time job to my lcc? Can you guys give me some advice...............Thanks Jay

Steve
12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum! Nice to have you here!

How many customers are you servicing now and how many do you need to make the jump to quit your full time job?

jab1472
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
3 commercial 10 residential. Most of my equipment is paid for & I have one mower payment of $200 month. Basically, I just want to know when some others knew when it was time to go full time.

pnplawn
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 10 2007,8:04)]3 commercial 10 residential. Most of my equipment is paid for & I have one mower payment of $200 month. Basically, I just want to know when some others knew when it was time to go full time.
There really is not a time to go full time. Most of us just did it. You should wait till spring at lest. Also do not do it until you think you are ready. WE are here to help you if you need help. Most of us here have been in the business for years. WE are old timers and for the most part we can try to answer any questions that may arise. Good luck to you and your business and hope you keep coming back to the Gopher Forum. Also if yuou are ever in need for website let me know. Ill do my best get you rank in your city or county number one on google search. By the way how old are you?

Rodman

Steve
12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
The other thing you could consider depending on your situation is you could get a part time job to help supplement your income. That could help you bridge the gap.

As Rodman said, I would wait till spring to do this when the season picks up.

I would come up with a plan. Figure out how many customers you need to run your business full time and then scale up to hit it. Knowing your target # will help you a lot.

Steve
12-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Jay, are you promoting any services now over the winter time?

Can you give us some insight as to your thoughts on all this?

justin_time
12-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 10 2007,7:44)]Hi guys my name is Jay, I' m new to the forum and I have a small lawn care company that I run on the weekend. The question I have is, how do I know when to make the move from my full time job to my lcc? Can you guys give me some advice...............Thanks Jay
All I have to say is wait for the spring or whenever grass starts growing.

I remember when I started, I was asking all those questions too.

I just started... advertised this means paid the post office to send flyers (it's 10 cents per flyer)

Advertising is probably what you have to do... Just basically get your name out in the world and get attention from customers

If you have a local Chambers of commerce.. maybe look for that and be a member.

Just any marketing to get your name out there usually works.

That's all I have to say for now

jab1472
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Ok I will try to answer all questions in this reply. I am 35 yrs old and I have had my business for two years. My advertising has been by word of mouth. One of my biggest concerns is that I live in a rural area and there are not really any large developments. It doesnt really snow here either so that is out for the winter, but I do have on account that I pick up the trash on the grounds and empty the cans all winter.
As for advertising I have my truck lettered now and I have done flyers on the bulletin boards in the local post offices. I might be interested in a web site though. If you can get me some prices on how much it would cost to do I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows where I can get the STOP LOWBALLERS stickers I would like to get some. Thank you for all of the feedback. This site is sure to be one of my favorites and I will post some pics of my equipment & landscape work for more advice. Thanks again!!

Steve
12-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Quote[/b] ]Also if anyone knows where I can get the STOP LOWBALLERS stickers I would like to get some.

Send an email to tony@amw-graphics.com for the stickers.

Quote[/b] ]Ok I will try to answer all questions in this reply. I am 35 yrs old and I have had my business for two years. My advertising has been by word of mouth. One of my biggest concerns is that I live in a rural area and there are not really any large developments.

I would be concerned about this because I do wonder if there would be enough work for you. You might want to consider offering more services potentially like handyman services to pull in more revenue.

Maybe there are some other services in your area that are needed as well.

Could you also look into community projects to help get the word out about you and your business? Are there parks in the area that are falling apart, which you could repair?

Have you been able to utilize craiglist.org to promote your business for free?

What are some of your thoughts on this?

pnplawn
12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 12 2007,7:22)]Ok I will try to answer all questions in this reply. I am 35 yrs old and I have had my business for two years. My advertising has been by word of mouth. One of my biggest concerns is that I live in a rural area and there are not really any large developments. It doesnt really snow here either so that is out for the winter, but I do have on account that I pick up the trash on the grounds and empty the cans all winter.
As for advertising I have my truck lettered now and I have done flyers on the bulletin boards in the local post offices. I might be interested in a web site though. If you can get me some prices on how much it would cost to do I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows where I can get the STOP LOWBALLERS stickers I would like to get some. Thank you for all of the feedback. This site is sure to be one of my favorites and I will post some pics of my equipment & landscape work for more advice. Thanks again!!
I sent you a pm !

jab1472
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Quote[/b] (pnplawn @ Dec. 12 2007,8:46)]Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 12 2007,7:22)]Ok I will try to answer all questions in this reply. I am 35 yrs old and I have had my business for two years. My advertising has been by word of mouth. One of my biggest concerns is that I live in a rural area and there are not really any large developments. It doesnt really snow here either so that is out for the winter, but I do have on account that I pick up the trash on the grounds and empty the cans all winter.
I sent you a pm !
didn't get the pm

pnplawn
12-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 12 2007,8:57)]Quote[/b] (pnplawn @ Dec. 12 2007,8:46)]Quote[/b] (jab1472 @ Dec. 12 2007,7:22)]Ok I will try to answer all questions in this reply. I am 35 yrs old and I have had my business for two years. My advertising has been by word of mouth. One of my biggest concerns is that I live in a rural area and there are not really any large developments. It doesnt really snow here either so that is out for the winter, but I do have on account that I pick up the trash on the grounds and empty the cans all winter.
I sent you a pm !
didn't get the pm
do you have email ? do you use any instant messengers ?

jab1472
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
yep email is jab1472@yahoo.com