PDA

View Full Version : Applicators Certification

realhuntin
12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok I was wondering if anyone was having issues with their state and Organic Fertilizer/Weed control products and having to be Certified Applicator to use these products and if so do you agree or disagree.

I do agree with Commercial Chemicals Applicators being certified.

What is your thoughts.

Steve
12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Oh I didn't know there was a license issue with organics!

realhuntin
12-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Dec. 13 2007,12:30)]Oh I didn't know there was a license issue with organics!
Seems there is here in Kentucky so I was wondering what other states are doing.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
12-13-2007, 07:29 AM
In Maine if you are paid to apply pesticides, you need a pesticide license. That includes chemicals that are used to control or kill any pests, including bugs, vegetation, and critters.

Some chemicals and pesticides sales are restricted only to people with a pesticide license.

Since I am a sole proprietor, in order to apply pesticides, I also need to get the Master Pesticide License. That requirement applies to each business as one person employed in each business needs to have it.

There are a number of classes of licenses we can obtain ranging from outdoor, to indoor, to commercial property, and even treating pools and spas.

I am generally in favor of having a license, but I will admit to feeling that there is some overkill up here and probably elsewhere. An example is the homeowner who buys weed and feed and spreads it on the lawn. No license required. If I were to do it with the same exact product, a license is required. No difference other than an exchange of money for services rendered.

Probably one of the best resources, other than the state pesticide bureaus, to see what requires a license and what doesn't are outfits like Lesco. They are inspected frequently and are up to speed with changing laws and regulations.

realhuntin
12-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Here it is the same way "if you apply it you need it" no matter if it is Commercial Chemical or Organic.

The only difference I see is that it dosn't matter if you are a owner, a partner or employee, All Applicators shall be certified.
Kentucky dosn't offer a blanket certification.

Kentucky requires a certification for fertilizer as well as herbicides and pesticides.

I have to agree on the "over kill" when it comes to organic fertilizers and weed control products needing a applicators certification to apply these types of products. This just dosn't make good sence to me.

Here is a link to KY Agr's website for requiremnets and testing of pesticides certification.
http://www.kyagr.com/consumer/envsvs/testing/index.htm

I would suggest everyone check directly with their states DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE DIVISION OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES speek to the director, if you are NOT required to have certification for any type of application then get it in writing, on LETTERHEAD , make a copy and keep one posted in your office, and a copy in your truck.

More information to come reguarding US EPA repercussions for not being properly certified.