PDA

View Full Version : Palm trees

looksgoodlawncare
12-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I've bid for a job that has palm trees, the previous LCO recently trimmed them but if I get the job I need to know how often to trim them. I'm thinking twice a year but I'm not sure, just looking for advice. Thanks for everything.

Bryson McLemore
LooksGoodLawnCare

Steve
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I don't know if this will help but this is what I found.

Avoid pruning trees whenever possible. Most palms shed their fronds naturally, but others drop the fronds after some time.
When it is necessary to prune the trees, never remove fronds that do not hang below a line parallel to the ground. The
hurricane or candle cut pruning of palms is a violation of Broward County Code and is subject to enforcement action. As
palms recycle nutrients from the browning fronds to the heart of the palm (translocation of nutrients), frond removal
deprives the tree of needed nutrients and weakens its defenses against invasive molds and fungi. Allowing self-pruning or
self-cleaning is especially important for species that have a 'crown shaft' which is a green column below the fronds.
Additionally, repeated hurricane cuts produce a condition known as "pencil top" which is the narrowing of the palm trunk
just below the fronds. Hurricane winds may snap off the top of the palm where the thinning has occurred allowing the top of
the palm to become airborne. From here. http://www.broward.org/environment/pub_trees_2.pdf

looksgoodlawncare
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow, thanks for all that info. more than I could have imagined. Luckily I'm not in Broward County but I'll show this stuff to palm owners when they ask about pruning their palms.

Steve
12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I wish I could help out more, I just don't think many are involved with palm pruning so please let us know how this goes so we can pass this on to others if they are looking for more info.