PDA

View Full Version : fertilizing and frost

FourSeasons
11-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Can you still fertilize lawns after it has frosted over a few times?
I want to run a fall special for late fall fertilizing but its already frosted over about 5 times. So I don't know if its to late or not?
Thanks

Looking Good Lawn service
11-06-2007, 09:32 PM
you may still fertilize, you are in it to make money, just go do it, it will eventually melt into the soil when the frost and dew runs when the sun comes up. You and your family still have to eat in the winter.

FourSeasons
11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
This is my ad that I want to run with my craigslist ad but its doesn't show up big enough to read.
Can someone tell me how to resize it so it you can read it easy. I can't figure out how to do it. I used MS Publisher to make it.
Thanks for your help

Steve
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Did it look bigger in the craigslist ad?

FourSeasons
11-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Quote[/b] ]Did it look bigger in the craigslist ad?

No same size

Steve
11-07-2007, 08:58 AM
hmmm how did you actually make the image? Doesn't publisher make some sort of document file? This is an image file. Did you render it or something like that? Or maybe did you take a screen cap?

FourSeasons
11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
For some reason the document file wouldn't post so I put it up as a image.
I didn't actually make it. I just filled in the blanks.
I tried resizing it but it only made the page bigger not the actual ad.

I might need to start over and do it from the beginning again.
I'm new to using MS Publisher.

Steve
11-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Ok well keep us posted as to what you are able to create.

pmblair
11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Quote[/b] (Looking Good Lawn service @ Nov. 06 2007,5:32)]you may still fertilize, you are in it to make money, just go do it, it will eventually melt into the soil when the frost and dew runs when the sun comes up. *You and your family still have to eat in the winter.
I understand the "you're in it to make money" and "you and your family still have to eat" thing, but does ANYBODY know if this advice is actually valid? I would hate to take this advice, go out and fertilize during frost, then the turf die because of me.

Anybody?

FourSeasons
11-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Quote[/b] ]you may still fertilize, you are in it to make money, just go do it, it will eventually melt into the soil when the frost and dew runs when the sun comes up. *You and your family still have to eat in the winter.
Yeah I wouldn't consider this a legitimate answer to my question. I know what I need to do to feed my family. You can't just go around doing things because you need money whether it is the right time or not.
I was looking for answers based on the right way and time of applying fertilizer.
If its the wrong time to fertilize and my kids need to eat with no other work I'll go get a side job until spring. Fortunately thats not the case though yet.
Thanks for the comment anyways though.

Looking Good Lawn service
11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
To be completely techincal you may fertilize as long as the ground is not completely frozen. If it is just a light frost from the dew and it melts away when the sun comes up you may fertilize, my cousin works for trugreen and thats what they use, usually if the weather is good they can go till December. Hope this helps.

FourSeasons
11-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Quote[/b] ]my cousin works for trugreen
I see more and more tru green trucks every where i go. And I mean besides the fertilizer trucks.
I know they do aerating and things related to that sort of lawn care I was wondering if they do mowing to. I guess I can go on their site and look. Around here they have huge enclosed trailers.

FourSeasons
11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I found this on the Washington State University site to answer my question-

Additional gardening tips from Washington State Universtiy Cooperative Extension publication "The Gardener."
Fertilize your lawn at the end of November to help retain a deep green color through the winter. Use a fertilizer with approximately a 3-1-2 (N-P-K) ratio. For late fall use, choose a fertilizer that contains mainly a slow-release form of nitrogen. Highly soluble nitrogen can leach away rapidly, not only being lost to the grass, but possibly contributing to groundwater pollution.

I'm going to post this in a ad and run a special thru the end of November.
Just thought I share this.

FourSeasons
11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
My new ad

Turf Talk
11-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Quote[/b] (FourSeasons @ Nov. 03 2007,11:00)]Can you still fertilize lawns after it has frosted over a few times?
I want to run a fall special for late fall fertilizing but its already frosted over about 5 times. So I don't know if its to late or not?
Thanks
Hi Four Seasons,

What type of fertiliser were you planning on using? if you are going for a granular fertiliser then applying it in the morning and letting the dew melt some of it away couldnt be more incorrect an answer. you have water it in according to the label directions. and they vary between types of fertiliser too prevent burning of the leaf.

if the lawn is under stress from frost and you would still like to earn some money from the job by fertilsing it, i would recommend feeding it with a orgainc liquid fertiliser because its high in phosporus for root growth which the turf needs most when under stress and a much less amount of nitrogen which is the last thing you want to feed your lawn when its under stress from heat, cold, frost.

Sorry I couldnt reply earlier... been very busy

Scott Bursky
Website Admin
www.turftalk.org
TURF TALK - Networking Turf managers, Greenkeepers & lawn Care Professionals Worldwide... Forums, Articles & More....

<a href="http://www.turftalk.org/content.cfm">http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x173/turftalkgreenkeepers/banner_homepage-3.jpg