PDA

View Full Version : lawn and frost

FourSeasons
11-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Is it okay to mow the lawn when it is still frosted?
Its frosted here about 5 times and I don't know if it good to mow the grass while its still frozen.

Little's
11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Thats a good question. I dont have an answer for you, because we hardly get frost here, and when we do it has usually thawed before the mowing starts. I would like to know also, hopefully someone here knows.

Steve
11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I got this quote from here.

"Generally try to mow the lawn when the leaves are dry, this way less leaf drops into the sward. Do not mow if the lawn is waterlogged or frosted, both conditions will damage the soil or grass"

http://www.qlawns.co.uk/guide.htm

FourSeasons
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks
Thats to bad because we don't have much daylight to mow with when its frosted out and I have to wait for it to thaw out first.
But I guess with the frost setting in I won't be mowing for to much longer anyways though. Since the frost puts everything into dormancy
. I'm guessing another month and that will be about it for most of my customers.:(

ritchiem
11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
This is a mixed opinion question. I've seen LCO's doing doing burnouts on icy lawns. I have also seen them blow out the lawn first to thaw the frost...I admit I have done this as well. It all comes down to how you want to be seen as a company. Some people may argue and say "Its all about putting food on the table, so just do it and get paid".

In my opinion you will not damage the shoots of the grass from cutting frosty lawns, however you risk greater compaction of the soil and turf tear from skidding.

11-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Im in NH so when it frosts we are all done mowing, then we are off to trying to get frozen leaves off the ground. Sounds fun eh?