PDA

View Full Version : Has a drought effected your lawn service

Steve
09-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Has drought conditions effected the way you operate this year? If so how?

Lawn care important despite drought (http://news14.com/content/headlines/587046/lawn-care-important-despite-drought/Default.aspx) - The drought is taking a toll on more than just crops in North Carolina, but many lawn care services say business is still booming despite all the watering restrictions.

The buzz of a blower is a sure sign lawn care maintenance is still needed even though the area is suffering from a severe drought.

"My business has not dropped off, but how we are executing that business has changed a little bit, said James Ormond, a lawn care business owner.

http://images.news14.com/media/2007/9/10/images/01grass2.jpg

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Its been dry up this way as well. With the exception of lawns with irrigation systems and a couple of customers that still want weekly mowing, I'm on an every other week schedule until things get better. Not much is growing except weeds, even they are having a tough time.

The up side is I now have some time to take care of other work that has been on the back burner. I have several trees to be taken down, some more that need trimming, as well as some handyman type stuff for a few of my senior citizen customers.

Steve
09-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Do you take the trees down yourself?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
09-13-2007, 06:27 AM
I had a helper to assist in the cleanup, loading of debris, and manning ropes. I did all the climbing, cutting, and limbing. The trees were in between two houses and I suppose I could have done it myself, but I elected to play it safe.

I have two more to remove, but they are only about 6 foot high. The toughest part will be digging out the stumps as the owner wants the holes filled in level with the rest of the yard.

Steve
09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
How does taking down trees effect your insurance? Do you need additional insurance for that?

Clean Lawn
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
It has been so dry all summer long in Hampton Roads, Virginia. IF we get one good day of rain I get 10 calls and we haven't had a lot of rain. I cannot remember the last time it rained.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
09-14-2007, 07:54 AM
My insurance policy covers all facets of my business. The only change I will have to make will come when I get my pesticide license later on, probably this winter.

Looking Good Lawn service
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
the drought did slow the growth down, a lot, but hey, now there is less to pick up and haul to the dump:), and I get done faster, win win,lol