PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Property Question

Clean Lawn
07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey guys as most of you know I am one of the newer lawn service business' to my area and I was called and asked if I would be interested in servicing 12 commercial reality properties this evening. I would love to get this contract (especially something this big after just starting less than 2 months ago) but I honestly have no idea how to bid on commercial property. Can someone give me some tips within the next 24 hours so that I can get back with this gentleman regarding the properties. I have not gone out to see them yet. Like I said I received the call this evening and there are 12 properties all over Hampton Roads to go and see. Plus, there are other questions I need to ask once I have an idea how to bid for the general lawn services (if he needs landscaping services in the spring and fall, fertilizer, etc...).
Thanks so much everyone. I am off to get some ideas on liability insurance should this happen. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Little's
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Was the call from a property management company? I do about 8 properties from a PMC. What you want to do is do a walk around the property with the person in charge of hiring you to find out exactly what kind of services they want. It will most likely be a weekly service (dont do bi weekly services... that can be more trouble than it is worth). Bid on how long it will take you to do the services. I figure mine by $1 per minute. This covers mowing, edging, blowing, trimming shrubs. I will charge a little extra for things that are needed as they come such as, spraying weeds (check your local laws, that can be a hefty fine for not having a spray license), fertilizing, weed control in lawns, mole and gopher control, trimming trees, etc.
Find out if there are any things that need to be addressed immediately, you may need to charge an initial clean-up charge. Most commercial properties are willing to pay a higher fee for your services if they know you will do a good job.
Another thing usually required would be liability insurance. Not a huge expense. I have 1 million coverage for $900 per year.
Good Luck! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tiedeman
07-31-2007, 10:31 PM
let us know what happens with them

Steve
08-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Hi Clean Lawn,

I am happy to see a lot of good information was posted already. The one thing we see many new lawn care business owners trip up on in such situations is they way underbid large jobs because they are so anxious to land them. You have to be careful you don't do this because the larger the job is, the more money you can lose.

Definitely visit the job sites and walk the property to see how long it would take you to service it.

Congratulations on all this! Let us know how it goes no matter what happens and share with us your experience dealing with such businesses.

Clean Lawn
08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I have to see the properties, there are 12 of them. I have seen a couple of them just driving by on day to day business. I know there isn't an enormous amount of grass to cut but I know they have landscaping done twice a year, mulch, etc... Thanks for all the information and I will let everyone know if we get it or not.

Clean Lawn
09-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I have not heard back from Merchants regarding these properties but I received a call on Thursday from a property manager regarding 11 rental properties and 1 for his personal property. I am going to try and talk with him more today and see what he is deciding on. (This one came from craigslist).

Steve
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
If you don't hear back from them, don't feel like you can't call them to find out more info.

Keep up the great work and we look forwards to hearing what happened!

Clean Lawn
09-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Got a call back today and one of the rental properties with 7 properties like our bid and will be signing with us and the property manager is also asking us to sign for his personal property too. The second rental property had 4 properties and decided to go against his property managers suggestion to go with us like the other is doing and wants someone else they had in mind. Nonetheless 8 new accounts from one person is awesome and I am extremely excited about this. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
09-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Congratulations!!

Can you share with us some advice on dealing with multiple properties in a bid?

fyrfyt
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Can you take a few pics for us and let us in how how you came up with your bid price. I feel that is the hardest for most people. I know for me it is.

Congrats also

Clean Lawn
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I looked at so many webpages and their costs per square footage I had a headache from it and then I sat down with what I felt were the most reasonable ones and came up with something like this-
These are all determined by yard size, difficulty(fences, yard layout, trees, roots, flower beds, etc...), property location (hampton roads is a enormous area) and travel time. This is a base weekly rate (meaning someone has signed a contract for us to come weekly to service their lawn).
1/4 acre $30-$35
1/3 acre $35-$40
1/2 acre $40-$50
3/4 acre $50-$65
1 acre $70-$85
anything larger than that we would have to take all the factors into consideration and give them an estimate based on those.
Also for monthly services we add 40% on top of our lawn service price (above)to 1/4-1/2 acre and +25% 3/4 plus acres.
For bimonthly service we add 20% on top of our lawn service price (above) to 1/4-1/2 acre and +15% to 3/4 acres plus.
Then we have additional services for pet clean-up and a first time trimming/shaping for bushes, hedges, etc... which $55 per hour or $28.00 for 1/2 hour (this is for hedges/bushes not pet clean-up).
Right now we are using hourly charge for fall clean-up because this is my business' first year and we aren't familiar with pricing for fall clean-up yet.
I hope this helps some.

SerranoLandscaping
09-14-2007, 02:08 AM
great info.

Clean Lawn
09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I received another request to submit a bid for another property managers rental properties that vary in location all over Hampton Roads. As much as I would love to land another good size account I don't know if the amount of driving this one has is going to be worth it. Driving to one of the jobs is over 1 hour from my home. I guess I will take some time tomorrow and consider if this is worth the driving it will take.

Steve
09-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Yikes! How big of a job would this be if you landed it? Is this a large property?

How will you go about figuring out if it is worth it to you?

Clean Lawn
09-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I have been in and out of town with the loss of a family member. I apologize for not replying to any questions asked and will do my best to get replies up as soon as I can.
I have a set price range for residential properties based on their size and then I adjust based on various other things. I posted regarding how I price my residential accounts on a previous post. I will try to find it and put here again for anyone who missed it.

Clean Lawn
09-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Nevermind I just realized its in this thread. Ignore me its been a long long weekend leading up to today.