PDA

View Full Version : blades of grass behind once mowed

landonkade
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
i was going to ask, i was noticing when i mow the grass at any yard, that i can make a line and when i turn back around to continue to make a new line, there is still chips of grass still standing on the line i just mowed

i have new blades and they are the right size, and they are on right, just trying to see what else could be wrong

P.S. it leaves grass behind on thick grass and non-thick grass

Little's
08-01-2007, 10:29 PM
What brand of mower are you using? When I mow I always overlap my lines about 2 inches. Your wheels will push the grass flat then the blade misses it.

landonkade
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Quote[/b] (Little's @ Aug. 01 2007,11:29)]What brand of mower are you using? When I mow I always overlap my lines about 2 inches. Your wheels will push the grass flat then the blade misses it.
i am using mulching blades, i bought the mower with a mulching kit on it. Its never left grass behind until it needs blades, but now it has new blades and still does it, i bought the blades from a exmark repreventive here in town

i use a exmark witha 60in triton deck

Little's
08-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Not sure I can answer this. Does it have a bagging system, maybe plugging up?

landonkade
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Quote[/b] (Little's @ Aug. 02 2007,12:40)]Not sure I can answer this. Does it have a bagging system, maybe plugging up?
no, i might just have to bring it to the shop i guess

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM
I've found that if I use mulching blades on heavier grass growth, or wet grass, I have to slow down quite a bit in order to be sure I cut it all. Its not a problem with shorter, dry grass.

It may boil down to mulching blades not lifting as well as regular blades.

Is the grass standing in a row or at random? That can be another clue.

myrlin
08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
gator blade try it you like it

barry

landonkade
08-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Quote[/b] (S.P.Martin Lawn Care @ Aug. 02 2007,12:47)]I've found that if I use mulching blades on heavier grass growth, or wet grass, I have to slow down quite a bit in order to be sure I cut it all. *Its not a problem with shorter, dry grass.

It may boil down to mulching blades not lifting as well as regular blades.

Is the grass standing in a row or at random? *That can be another clue.
its at randon

tiedeman
08-03-2007, 10:12 PM
now you have a mulching kit on there, or are you doing side discharge? Is the grass standing tall in a row, or is it kind of laying over, but you can see that it's not being cut?

08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Landonkade,

The triton decks are supposed to be a very good design. I have one. However, there have been many issues with exactly what you describe. There is also a leveling problem from side to side.

The stringers are sometimes taken care of with an update that the dealer should do free. It will increase the blade speed and add some baffeling from what I understand. I am scheduling to get mine done. If yours is a 2007 model it probably has the update on it. I would check with your dealer.

Also make sure if you mulch your deck is almost level. It helps with the cut. If you do both, mulch and side discharge, leave some rake to it.

Hope this helps.

gouldsgreenscapes
09-02-2007, 07:44 AM
There is probably nothing at all wrong with your machine at all.
I use a new 48" Toro Z-Master with Gator blades. I sharpen my blades every other day. This time of the year you have to go over alot of lawns twice to get them to look perfect. I have picked up so many new accounts because of guys NOT doing this. I have also been able to charge more because of the QUALITY of the finished job. Don't waste your money bringing it to someone to try to find out what the "problem" is.
Keep cutting, take your time, do a better job than the next guy and you will be successful in this business.

tiedeman
09-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I personally feel what the problem is, if you are using a mulching kit with it, is that that is just a lot of excessive growth so it's missing areas because of the thickness of the grass. Try to slow down or remove the mulching kit and see whether that makes a difference or not. If you remove the mulching kit and htere is no problem, then your problem is solved.

quickcleanlawn
09-02-2007, 03:40 PM
check the spindles.
the deck maybe slightly bent around the spindles from hitting stumps and such.

landonkade
09-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Quote[/b] (quickcleanlawn @ Sep. 02 2007,4:40)]check the spindles.
the deck maybe slightly bent around the spindles from hitting stumps and such.
could it possibley be the idle pulley, alot of people are telling me this, so i really dont know what the problem is, cause there as been so many different things named here on this topic