PDA

View Full Version : What organic lcos are up against

Steve
04-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Have you found it difficult to promote your organic lawn care business as well? Do you spend a lot of time educating new customers?

<a href="http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3NDImZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxMTc5NjkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeX
kyMg==" target="_blank">Cultivating a natural niche</a> - "I spend a lot of time on the phone with new clients, reassuring them," he says, flinging grass seed on a rain-soaked property in Fair Lawn. "That's a big part of organic lawn care. If they're used to ChemLawn and they see a weed popping up, you have to talk with them."

"Conventional lawn companies have such a large market share and spend so much on advertising that the small family business that wants to work organically has a hard time getting its message out," says Jane Nogaki, pesticide program coordinator for the New Jersey Environmental Federation.

Last month, Organic Dutchman ** now based in Clinton ** had about 500 customers. With some postcard marketing, that number has exceeded 700.

tiedeman
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
I have tried and tried to push organic, but people can not get past the price of it. For me, its about 3 times more than my regular pesticide applications.

Steve
04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Is it possible that this is a regional issue? People in certain areas are more interested in going organic than in other areas?

tiedeman
05-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, I have found up here that it is hit and miss. But I do admit that within the last year, some interest has been mentioned, compared to previous years.

Steve
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Maybe this will become more and more important.

tiedeman
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
The only problem with organic, will be more customer complaints. Organic requires a lot of work to get it to work