PDA

View Full Version : Michigan guys

tiedeman
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
For those that live down in the Detroit area, what is the going rate for lawn maintenance do there for an average size lot?

The only reason that I ask this is because my parents just went down to Troy yesterday, and there were flyers for lawn maintenance starting at $21 there. I always heard that lawns done there were going for $40 to start

PremierLand
04-10-2007, 01:14 AM
well more in the detroit area, some guys are cutting for 15. The average lawns down by me have about 4,000sqft of lawn. Those are going around $18. It sucks.

tiedeman
04-10-2007, 10:33 PM
WoW! Why so cheap down by you guys? I would think that it would be more down there because of the higher income and higher standard of living.

PremierLand
04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Ya but there are ALOT more people with trucks. There are 300-400 to10 million dollar homes EVERYWHERE but there are still alteast I can count 200 landscapers PER DAY I see.

plus with people taking gm and ford buyouts they go start a lawn company. It sucks,but thats life.

Billz
04-11-2007, 02:00 AM
I am in Grand Rapids, here I am bidding on lawns that the customer pays $500 per year for 27 mows, spring and fall cleanups. They are calling to see if they can find it cheaper! LOL:blush:

tiedeman
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I just can't believe that. I always thought that being in the larger cities would be better for working. But perhaps it is better to stay in a smaller high end residential area.

Do you guys think that the whole market will be dragged down further and further in prices over the next few years?

tiedeman
04-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Ok, what about snow removal for you guys? How is that priced down there?

Billz
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
snow here is about 200 per season, with a 2 car driveway. I get 250 to shovel their walkway too, and in front of garage. I do add 50 for a 3rd stall, and more for the half circle driveway.

What are the prices like where you are?

PremierLand
04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Lawn care will just keep going down until theres nothing left and everyone gets out execpt a few people, hopefully ill be one of the few people. Then the prices will go back up and gain more customers. But I AM NOT HOLDING my BREATH for this to happen....

Snow is alot better for me. I get circle driveways for $50 per push, regular 8x75ft drives for $35, and more for sidewalks but the city usually does the sidewalks. That price is varring, i a have a few circle drives that apy $75 per push and takes like 8 minutes, and I have 6 of those in a row. I can eaisly make $300-$400 per hour doing driveways. One storm I put in like 70 hours. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Billz
04-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Almost everyone here wants the seasonal contract. The most I get for a circle drive with 3 stalls and shoveling the walk is $425. on an average year that is like 28 per push. This last winter I plowed it 26 times...that is only $16 per time. I was 100 higher than their last plow guy, so the only reason I got it was I did all their mowing, and put it into a monthly contract for all services, or he would have plowed again.

I bid on a condo dev last year. I do alot of work in this high-end area, and the condos at the area asked for a quote. they have 12 buildings with 2 drives each, and about 1/4 mile of street. 24 drives and the street...they needed the snow taken out with a loader at least every 4th storm, and had 24 walks to shovel... the company that did it charges them $305 per event.

It keeps getting worse here because people know they can call 10 companies and get it lower whenever the want.

tiedeman
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Most residential drives up here average around $150 a month based on a flat monthly rate contract (4 months). So my flat monthly rate customers are paying most of the time a mimimum of $600 for the season. But also any snow removal that falls outside of the flat monthly rate, such as snow removal in November or April, is charged at a per push rate.

But per push are anywhere from $20 to $35 up here.

The last couple of years here snow removal is a better money maker compared to lawn maintenance. With snow removal, up here if my customers drives are not done by 9am, then I lose customers. But once you get a customer, and get their drives done by 7am every morning, they will be very loyal to you no matter what the price is.

It was getting bad for a while here with competition, but more fly by nighters can not afford to get a plow anymore because our winters are so inconsistent. I do know that commercial accounts can be more cut throat than residential drives. A lot of guys up here do not want to touch residential drives, but I actually like them.

Billz
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Well for 600 I would do all residentials! lol

tiedeman
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
lol....That is where I am starting to lean more and more every year

Billz
04-16-2007, 12:20 AM
there are companies here plowing all season with a 1.5 inch trigger for $125.

tiedeman
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
That is just amazing! I can not see myself doing 1.5 inches at $125

I have one commercial account that takes only 1 1/2 hrs that I get $150 for each occurance.