PDA

View Full Version : $50 budget a month

tiedeman
03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
So I wanted to try to get this one lady that I do snow removal for. *I take care of her daughters property, and she is in the perfect location to be a lawn maintenance customer.

She really wanted me to try and mow the property every 2 weeks, but a lot of times that is impossible. *So I offered to her that I would take care of it for $30 every week or $35 every 10 days. *

Well, she told me that was a lot of money. *He current lawn care company only charges $25 each time, and they only come every 2 to 3 weeks because there isn't that much growth.

So I finally asked her, "what is your budget for the month?" *And she said $50.

I am really torn at what to do. *Normally, I would just walk away from this, but she is in a perfect location. *So should I do it for $25 every 2 weeks or just say forget it, it's not worth it.

The property is approx 7,000 sq ft, with about a 400 sq ft fenced in area, in which I will need to use the 21 inch mower. I don't maintain any neighbors beside her so I would be strictly unloading my equipment just for her *

What do you guys think?

VogelLawnService
03-07-2007, 05:20 PM
personally i wouldnt make a special stop for that. expesionally if i cant get one of my big machines in the back. if you had 4 other houses right in a row then it would be worth it. i know the customer seems valuable because of the prime location. but having to unload just for that house for 50 a month just decreased the value a whole lot in my book. although if you are interested in gettin your foot in that neighborhood its a good marketing tech. because the best your work is the most apealing to the eye. if that was the situation i MIGHT accept her and see how quickly i can round up some of her neighbors. if none of the neighbors were signing on then i would drop her. good luck!

kfinley818
03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Ask her if you could put up a sign for advertisement in exchange for the discounted lawn care. Thats great advertisement for a subdivision or area you would like to target.

NickN
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I'd do it.$25 for around 15 minutes work isn't bad.Especially if she is on your way to another account.You could make a quick stop,be done,and on to the next.

tiedeman
03-08-2007, 09:04 AM
The big thing that is slowing me down in saying "yes" is the fenced in yard area.

Billz
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, remember too that mowing it every 2 weeks will not leave it looking great, so picking up more might not be as easy as you think. They wont know the favor you are doing for this woman, just how it looks when you leave. If the lawn isnt fertilized or watered, I would take it...I make great money off a few bi-weeklies...but if they grow 10 inches of grass, I leave it looking like a hay field. They dont pay to have me double or triple cut, so I dont, and if they ever complain I simple remind them that weekly service would cure the problem, but costs double!

tiedeman
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
That is the major problem that I am worried about. What will that lawn look like every 2 weeks. I am just afraid that it will look horrible. To make matters worse, I mow lawns high on purpose. So if I mow this higher than what it is probably mowed it, then it might just take off growing like crazy.

I still haven't made up my mind 100% yet. 80% of me is telling me not to take it, while the other is telling me it's better than nothing

Billz
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, I have some like that and I still make good money off them...just have not picked up many neighbors...I do have a few though, and they make those biweekly accounts really pay off! Be sure you set it up as $25 every other week, and not 50$ per month...there is a difference!

tiedeman
03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
That is true, I never thought about that. You could lose out on a lot of money by doing it monthly

VogelLawnService
03-08-2007, 11:33 PM
and rememebr.. a similar lawn that is done weekly the same exact size might take 15 minutes. when your going bi weekly longer grass takes longer plus 15 minutes of work time isnt really 15 minutes. you have to account for the gas your using by "stopping by" the property on the way. you have to look at how much your paying your guies agenst what your makin for the time your there not to mention load and unload time. it may all sound like im being particular but all that time ends up. when you have those little "15 minute" quick stop lawns add up. your accually loosing money. thats how it ususally ends up workin out for me after i look at all my overhead. im also not big on the stop by lawns. im to the point now where im tryin to ween them out. id much rather have 10 properties in a row. load and unload time adds up to being a killer waste of time during the day! goodluck!