PDA

View Full Version : Small vs. Large Properties

tiedeman
01-27-2007, 07:56 PM
What is your opinion on the best properties to maintain, small properties or large properties, and why?

Now with small properties I am thinking anything less than 5,000 sq ft. Large properties are anything over 32,000 sq ft.

tiedeman
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I am bumping this back up to the top

Jim Adams
02-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Dollars per man hour ** that is, worker productivity ** is the only number that counts in the mowing business. You can run high numbers or low on any size property.

In my years in business, probably the best numbers we ever ran were on large (ten acres and up) subsidized apartment complexes. But we did well on clusters of two or five or a dozen smaller lawns, too.

Jim

www.promower.net

Steve
02-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Quote[/b] ]In my years in business, probably the best numbers we ever ran were on large (ten acres and up) subsidized apartment complexes.

What size staff did you need to maintain this or what size staff would you recommend an lco having to maintain such a property?

Jim Adams
02-08-2007, 04:10 AM
On large properties, our entire crew was three people ** two on zero-turn tractors and one trimming and blowing.

On smaller properties, less is usually better, a "crew" of one thoroughly experienced professional ** working alone, concentrating on the job rather than what in God's name his troops are trying to do ** can reach levels of efficiency unheard of in the usual crew operations.

Jim

Steve
02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
That is a very interesting idea.

I don't often see lawn care operators using 1 man crews unless they are the owner. But if you can do that, I can see how it could be worth it.

Has anyone ever been able to pull this off besides Jim? I am sure there are but I wonder what others have experienced.

All Aspects Landscaping
02-08-2007, 07:39 PM
I totally disagree... One man crew is wasteful. One man crew can only possibly finish approx 12 5000sq ft jobs in a day. I run with three man crews and we can produce up to 57 5000 - 7000 sq ft. properties. (not to mention in a 9 hr day). We usually bill daily per crew approx $1350.00. Anything less than three men is useless.

tiedeman
02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
WOW! *They are punching of each property in 9 mins then, without travel time?

Jim Adams
02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
All Aspects:

You are saying that one man can mow only 60,000 square feet in a day? I beg your pardon. Countless times, for days and weeks and years on end, I mowed more than that per hour. In good conditions one of my better small jobs, around 35,000 square feet, took 20 - 25 minutes.

Jim

myrlin
02-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Well I do 12 to15 a day and they are sm one. And I am done my 12 to 1 in after noon. I am a owenly one man.I did hire some one and got done later.

Barry

dutchhook
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
My suggestions is definetely large properties. At one time, I had 400 residential mowing accounts while I was growing the commercial. Even though my hourly rate went down (for site time), my overall hourly rate and profits went way up because I was able to handle so much more work. We only get paid for time mowing the site. When a 3 man crew goes to one site for the day, they're getting paid for 21 hours of mowing, where 3 guys in different trucks doing say 15 sites and driving to 15 sites, might be getting paid for 14 hours. Billing time and phone calls go down.
The one caveat is that if you're really getting a great hourly rate on the 5,000 Ft2 lawns, like $45 per hour and nobody else is going after them, that could swing the decision the other way!

Steve
02-09-2007, 04:39 PM
When you say Quote[/b] ] phone calls go down.

What do you mean by that?

tiedeman
02-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Quote[/b] (dutchhook @ Feb. 09 2007,3:59)]My suggestions is definetely large properties. At one time, I had 400 residential mowing accounts while I was growing the commercial. Even though my hourly rate went down (for site time), my overall hourly rate and profits went way up because I was able to handle so much more work. We only get paid for time mowing the site. When a 3 man crew goes to one site for the day, they're getting paid for 21 hours of mowing, where 3 guys in different trucks doing say 15 sites and driving to 15 sites, might be getting paid for 14 hours. Billing time and phone calls go down.
The one caveat is that if you're really getting a great hourly rate on the 5,000 Ft2 lawns, like $45 per hour and nobody else is going after them, that could swing the decision the other way!
I would think that you would lose more money based on time instead of a set price. Do you set the hourly rate or do customers purpose to you an hourly rate?