PDA

View Full Version : Dos, Don'ts and Why

Steve
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I was thinking we should put a do's, don'ts and why list together. We can add to it as we go.

If you add something to this list, could you please explain why that is a do or a don't.

We will compile the list as we go.

Steve
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
DO: Offer a year round payment plan.

Why:

It will help your budgeting because you will have a steady stream of cash flow every month and it will help your customers pay a flat rate each month.

tiedeman said - "I only offer a 2% discount. It might not seem like a lot, but if they can save $50, to $100 a year, then to them it is a great deal.

My big selling point is explaining to them that their bill will be the exact same each month. That way they can budget better for the year."

Mow Right said - "I don't offer any discount at all, just the selling point of their bill will be the same each month."

Steve
01-10-2007, 07:13 PM
DON'T: Give discounts or work for friends or family.

Why:

tiedeman said - "When I had workers one of the workers sister needed some work done on her property. We did the work and did not get paid until 6 months later. After that happened I warned all workers that there is to be no work done for family or friends, period."

John/Logo-Mechanix said - "when I do work for family or friends I pretty much write it off, if I get paid great, if I get a 12 pack of beer thats fine too."

kc2006 said - "This has always been an issue for me. Way back I posted a thread about having alot of friends and family and how that can get you in this or any business alot easier. But so far I've had nothing but problems with friends or family even. Friends want services discounted heavily and products for cost, and i found that family basicly feels you should do the work for free and they'll just refer you to people (which never happens).

I tell all friends I give them a 20% discount on landscaping and supplies, no discount on mowing because I'm already reasonable, thats it. I wouldn't discount anything for a friend of a friend, if they don't like it oh well."

tiedeman
01-11-2007, 12:33 AM
I like this