PDA

View Full Version : Bidding on government jobs?

Steve
01-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Have you ever bid on a government job? Have you ever thought that you had to come in with a rock bottom price? Well this lco came in with the highest price and still won the bid.

It makes you think.

FARMINGDALE ROADS: HOW NOT TO SPEND TAX MONEY (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/view/columns/3485994.html) - This time, two of three selectmen voted inexplicably this week to award the town's road sweeping and cleaning contract to the highest of four bidders. That means town taxpayers will shell out approximately $5,000 more per year over the next three years than if the selectmen had chosen the lowest bidder.

That choice, of course, got some people steamed, including the town's four-member Highway Advisory Committee, which had solicited the bids on the work. On Thursday, all four members quit in protest.

Gray Brothers Landscaping of Farmingdale was the high bidder that won the contract; they performed the work last year for the town as well. In defending his vote to award them the work, Selectman David Ranslow said, "From past experience with Gray Brothers, I was more than pleased with the work, as several townspeople who spoke to me were."

Mow Right
01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I think you need to have a reputable name to win with high bids. Although the towns people are mad, $5000 extra isn't very much extra for a YEAR of road sweeping. Maybe the others didn't carry very good insurances, and aren't dependable.

I would have also went with the more reputable company if I was the one making the decisions