PDA

View Full Version : Standing out from other lcos

Steve
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
It's interesting to see what Eric thinks makes his company stand out from others.

What's the best way to stand out? Is it great service or great price or something else?

What's your view?

Larkin grad on 'ground' floor (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/business/161665,3_3_EL06_LANDSCAPER_S1.article) - With landscaping outfits sprouting up faster than dandelions, Zimmerman said it's vital to be a few steps ahead of the competition.

"What I always say about it is if you do good work, people will pass along your name," Zimmerman said, noting there are "100 landscaping companies" competing for jobs. "If you do the best job, you're the one who's going to get the calls," he added.

Zimmerman said he's busiest during the fall, considered his peak season, because of all the lawns that need attention. Planting before the bitter cold weather sets in keeps him busy ** in fact busier than the spring season, he said.

NickN
12-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Standing behind your work.Let's face it,if you've got 100 companies competing against you,at least 50 are going to be able to "do a good job".It's after the job is completed that matters.Customers invest alot of their hard earned money in landscapes.Someone can do a good job,only to have plants die in a couple of years.Then,it turns into a "not so good job."
That's why I back our installs with lifetime plant guarantees.If we install it and it dies,we replace it.In 1 year or 10 years,it gets replaced.
Of course,some terms apply.One cannot guarantee everything,like sod or seed,annuals,etc.,,and replacement plants are the size they were when installed.
That reminds me,I need to call past customers to see how their landscapes are doing.Maybe get an upsell in the process.

John/Logo-Mechanix
12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I also think you need successful advertising, the people who never know how good you are will never call in the first place. Some of the best ways to advertise are flyers, door hangers, post cards etc...and one of the most important things in my opinion is branding (having a successful and unique logo which people will remember). one of the ways to get people to remember you is through advertising using your logo on items like t-shirts, hats, pens, calendars and basically anything you can hand out to people so when the time comes and they need your services they have your information right in front of them.

Steve
12-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Quote[/b] ]That's why I back our installs with lifetime plant guarantees.If we install it and it dies,we replace it.In 1 year or 10 years,it gets replaced.

Do you advertise this? If so, how? Door hangers, flyers? I think it's a great way to stand out.

NickN
12-15-2006, 10:07 AM
It's on our website,ads,and contracts.
Remember,I'm a consumer also,and I know how it is to spend money,only to get poor service and little satisfaction.I want propective customers to be at ease with their choice.I want them to know we'll be with them down the road,not just today.Landscapes are supposed to bring beauty and joy to our customers,not worry and anxiety over spending large amounts of money.

Steve
12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I think that's really smart.

What I also like about that is, you really need to know your stuff or have a lot of confidence to offer this kind of guarentee. I can't imagine a newer company doing this.

It really is a great way to stand out.