PDA

View Full Version : How clean ups get bad word of mouth.

Steve
12-12-2006, 09:24 AM
I see this happen every once in a while. The only thing I can think of is that the employees just don't care that neighbors are watching them.

How do you deal with these issues?

Businesses polluting water (http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061211/OPINION/612110312/1032) - Am I the only person who gets disturbed when I see lawn care company workers equipped with power blowers getting rid of leaves and lawn clippings by blowing them into the streets (and into the sewers, if close enough) instead of hauling them to recycling centers where they belong?

I recently visited someone who lives next to the water. I witnessed a crew with at least four men blowing leaves, grass clippings, trash and scraps of paper into the lagoon.

Lawn care companies include in their fees the cost of hauling away the refuse, which they have to pay to dump, I assume. So why don't they do it?

I recently heard on the radio a government official telling us to pick up after our animals, not to throw trash in the streets and to keep our waterways clean. That one lawn care crew caused more pollution in one hour than five houses could in a month.

Fred Peters

TOMS RIVER

tiedeman
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
That is one out of a million.

I know that the city around here has a notice to everybody, even home owners, to not blow leaves in the streets. But the funny thing is, I ALWAYS see homeowners blowing leaves into the street.

ritchiem
12-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I have never seen anyone blow debris into any bodies of water...I would freak if I did as well. However, homeowners always blow their grass clippings onto the streets. I confronted one guy I saw doing just that and he said "I pay my taxes" and told me to piss off.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wheelgator2.gif

Steve
12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
You know what is amazing too, how many home owners think it's ok to just blow all the debris or rake it into storm drains.

Leaves can really do a good job clogging drainage pipes up.

tiedeman
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
There was one guy here last year that blew his leaves around the corner from his house in a turn around area. Well, the city caught wind of it, and come winter time, plowed all of those leaves right back in front of the guys driveway with the snow.