PDA

View Full Version : vertical cut

myrlin
11-30-2006, 07:37 PM
can anyone tell me what a vertical cut is. I know it has something to do with st. augustine grass.

Thank you
Barry

Steve
12-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi Barry,

Quote[/b] ]A vertical mower, sometimes called a power rake, can be used to remove thatch when a lawn has an excessive amount. A vertical mower has blades or tines that slice into the turf perpendicular to the soil surface ( figure 8 ). The amount of thatch removed by vertical mowing depends on the depth to which the blades penetrate into the turf and soil, the weight of the machine, and the size of the power unit. Depending on the vertical mower used and the amount of thatch to be removed, it may be necessary to go over the lawn several times for adequate thatch reduction. The large quantity of organic material brought to the surface during vertical mowing should be removed from the lawn. Vertical mowers, as well as aerifiers, can frequently be rented from hardware stores, garden centers, or rental outlets.

From this site.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib....8i.html (http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG0488i.html)

Does that help?

myrlin
12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Thank you for the information. It is very useful but it doesn't have anything on St. Augustine grass. I heard there is a special way to do St. Augustine grass but not sure how it is suppose to be done. It seems to be a secret down here in Florida. I can't find anyone that can answer this so that's why I was asking on here. I know it can be a big money making thing.

Barry

Steve
12-02-2006, 07:37 AM
I will look for more info, but I was thinking, if you had to rent a power rake, could you ask the rental center on tips on using it?

myrlin
12-02-2006, 12:58 PM
I did but nobud know.

barry

tiedeman
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
power rakes, dethatchers, vertical cutters are all basically the same thing.

myrlin
12-02-2006, 05:44 PM
but st.augustine is a runner if you cut it wrong it dead.
that what i ben told.

barry

tiedeman
12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
you could be right

myrlin
12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
So did I run into another dead end.

barry

Steve
12-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Barry,

This is from our friend Walter from georgiagardener@yahoo.com

Quote[/b] ]Mechanical dethatching really tears up a St Augustine lawn. My preference is to
core aerate a couple of times each year - once in April, once in late May....or
spread a 1/4 inch layer of sandy topsoil on the lawn to innoculate the thatch with
decomposer organisms.

taken from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH021

Thatch Removal

Thatch is the layer of undecomposed leaf blades, stolons, roots and crowns intermingled with soil. Contrary
to popular belief, return of mowing clippings do not cause thatch. Excessive thatch develops when the grass
is overfertilized, overwatered, and improperly mowed. If thatch layer exceeds 1 inch, remove by vertical
mowing in early-spring (e.g., April) south of Orlando and late-spring (e.g., May) north of Orlando. A 3-inch
spacing between the dethatching blades is best. Caution: Vertical mowing may result in damaged turf
which will require a period of recuperation. Do not attempt vertical mowing unless the grass is
actively growing (April to May). A professional landscaping maintenance service or the local county
Cooperative Extension Service office should be consulted before attempting lawn renovation.
Remove the debris by raking, sweeping or vacuuming and follow with a conventional mowing to improve
turf appearance. Immediately irrigate to prevent rootzone dehydration. One week following vertical mowing
apply 1 pound soluble nitrogen per 1000 square feet (e.g., 3 pounds ammonium nitrate or 5 pounds
ammonium sulfate per 1000 square feet) to encourage recovery. This material must be watered in
immediately following application to prevent plant burn. Periodic topdressing (adding a uniform layer of soil
on top of the grass) with to inch of soil similar to that underlying the turf is the best method to alleviate
thatch accumulation; however, the physical labor required limits its practicality for most homeowners. If this
is performed, use soil free of weed seeds and nematodes. Do not exceed recommended topdressing rates
as this encourages brown patch disease.

myrlin
12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
it look like a lot a work think i will forget about it.

thank you
barry

myrlin
12-07-2006, 01:59 PM
by the way what happen to my truck pic i am till waiting for tony

Steve
12-07-2006, 02:03 PM
You are waiting for a truck picture from Tony?

myrlin
12-07-2006, 07:42 PM
No the pic I sent to you. To but on the forum