PDA

View Full Version : Soil testing?

Steve
11-27-2006, 04:08 AM
How often do you offer soil testing? Nathan gets free soil tests from the N.C. Department of Agriculture. Does your state offer such services?

Free tests can help homeowners improve their lawn and garden (http://www.wilsondaily.com/LIfe/Seniors/300837496625545.php) - Come January, Nathan Range of YGI Ground Maintenance in Wilson will spend a week pulling soil samples for about 80 of his regular customers.

Range sends the 300 to 400 samples to the N.C. Department of Agriculture annually to have the soil's nutrient levels analyzed for free.

Range uses the sampling results to determine what, if anything, needs to be added to achieve optimum growth of the lawns and gardens he tends.

Range has offered soil sampling to his customers for about four years now. He sees no reason not to do the sampling since tax dollars pay for the service. After pulling the samples, Range drops off the sampling kits at the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service office on Goldsboro Street. In about two weeks, he'll have the reports back from the state.

When people ask him what they can do to make their lawns look better, he tells them the biggest thing is to first do a soil sample.

http://www.wilsondaily.com/temporaryimages/bp35730.jpg

ritchiem
11-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I offer a free soil test every year...it helps with the upsell on fertilizer programs. My tests cost me around $19 CAN.

Steve
11-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Is soil testing a big seller?

ritchiem
11-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Yes it is. A lot of customers don't understand why they need it until they see the results on a piece of paper. Then they can see the tests and their turf improving over time.

Steve
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
I hope others reading this will consider offering this service. Like Richard said, it will help you with your upsells.

Would it be good to create a yearly package that includes multiple soil tests in the price to show the lawn change over time?

tiedeman
11-27-2006, 01:56 PM
I did soil testing big time about 3 to 4 years ago. I try to sell if when my programs, but very few people bit on it. I used to sell it for $27 a test. The only time now that I do soil testing is if a customers lawn has problems with it

Steve
11-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Do you think Richard found it to be more popular due to geography or price or something else?

tiedeman
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
I think that perhaps if could get customers to bite on other programs

Steve
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
It's definetly something to consider especially since Richard found success in it.