PDA

View Full Version : Check with your State Police

tiedeman
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Recently something has really got me bugged in the state of Michigan, which other companies in other states should relate to and check up about.

About 2 weeks ago I went to my local graphics guy for some new lettering on the truck. While I was there he told me about how the State Police are cracking down on commerical companies that are using trucks that are not properly lettered and licensed. He told me about how certain graphics and logos have to be a certain height, and the information that needs to be on the vehicle.

So I brushed it off, but then about a week ago I heard more people talking about it, so I thought that I would check up with the State Police for the information.

These are some things that I found out:
1. No matter what, if you use your vehicle for commerical use, it needs commerical plates on the truck.

2. If you truck and trailer falls above a certain weight class, 10,000lbs, you need a chauffers license.

3. You need commercial insurance on the truck

4. Yes, if you do put your logo on there, you have to the city, state, and phone number of the business at least 3" inches high.

There are many more things that I am finding out left and right. I am actually planning of going down to the State of Police this weekend or next week and have them inspect my entire vehicle for things that I can fix or come into code on.

Check with your state police

Steve
10-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Interesting. It would be nice if they changed the laws to notify everyone with a business http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .:D

tiedeman
10-13-2006, 11:24 PM
I am still finding out more information from the officer.

Such as it doesn't matter if you use your vehicle 10% for commercial and 90% for personal. Commercial is commercial, and requires a commercial plate on the truck. Even if you don't have your business name on it or not, if you use it for commercial use, then it needs a commercial plate and commercial insurance

tiedeman
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, I went to the state police post here. The guy inspected my truck and trailer, and answered all of my questions. It is pretty amazing of what laws the guys out there with trucks and trailers are violating.

He told me the reason that they are cracking down more and more is that they are getting pressure from home land security about things. He said that I was lucky my truck and trailer was not over 10,000lbs, because it was I would be doing a lot more things. Such as securing the equipment at 4 points instead of 2, having a chauffers license, have medical card information in the truck, fire exstinguisher and stuff, annually inspection of the vehicle, stopping at all weigh stations.......the list goes on.