View Full Version : Who pays when you are injured on the job?

05-08-2006, 09:46 AM
This is an intersting article which discusses who pays when you get hurt on a job and you don't have insurance.

It makes me wonder though, why would any association hire a company that does not provide them with proof of insurance.

Association has responsibility for any injuries to any vendors (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom/growth/orl-cliving0706may07,0,7988785.story?coll=orl-news-growth-headlines) -
Question: Our homeowners association recently hired a new grass cutter for our common grounds. I am concerned because the person works alone and is a resident and does not have the proper insurance. I think he would need workers' compensation.

If he should injure himself or someone, I think it could lead to a lawsuit and possibly special assessments on other residents' part. What do you think?

Answer: Any vendor or service must provide proper insurance or the association will have the responsibility for any injury, losses or damage. Many times a small service company will say it is exempt from workers' compensation and liability coverage. However, it fails to say the association will cover any claim.

Any time a service is contracted, have the vendor provide proof of insurance and a certificate of insurance naming the association as an additional insured. The board should discuss the matter with the association's insurance agent and attorney.

The fact that the landscaper is an owner creates no exemption if an injury or accident happens. The association will have to pay, and the association's insurance will not cover the loss.

05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Now, as I understand it, for me, as a sole owner/operator, all I need is liability insurance, but I do not need workers comp. The workers comp is for employees only, and it covers employees only, not myself.

05-09-2006, 06:30 PM
That is my understanding too.

05-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I worked for an association a couple years ago, who had me sign a waiver for not covering myself with workman's comp.