PDA

View Full Version : The direction chemical applications are going

Steve
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Here is another article about a home owner very upset about not being notified a neighbor's lawn was being treated with chemicals. The more these events happen, I feel the more bad press they will create. Then as a vicious cycle, the more bad press, the more laws will be created to regulate the industry further.

What's your view on this?

Mom says company skirting pesticide law while Lawn care firm says its flag notices satisfy spraying rule (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060509/NEWS01/605090331/1002/NEWS) - Dina Stein doesn't expect her neighbors to refrain from using lawn pesticides that's their right, she says. But this Brighton mother wants the choice to shield her children, Emma, 4, and Sam, 2, from unnecessary exposure.

She thought that's what the county's new neighbor notification law provided, and in her suburban neighborhood with its lush green lawns, she fully expected to receive a letter from a lawn care company at least once this spring. But when a company showed up to spray her neighbor's lawn last week, claiming that a small orange plastic flag spiked into the edge of her lawn a month ago constituted prior notification, Stein was shocked.

tiedeman
05-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Here in Michigan all you have to do is post a sign at the lawn points of entrance. *Now, customers can sign up to be on a notification list in which is updated every year and is sent to pesticide companys. *

There are two ways to notify the customer here:
1. *Phone them one business day in advance
2. *written notification that is delivered in person 24 hrs before the application

I personally feel that in some areas of the country yes there is a bad press about it while other areas don't care. *For example, there is one city here about an hour away where almost all of the people are on a notification list, while here in my city, people don't care what you use, they just want the weeds gone.

Steve
05-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Very interesting.