PDA

View Full Version : Applicators license question

Steve
04-21-2006, 11:32 PM
How often is applicator licenses enforced? Do you ever hear of LCOs getting stopped to check them if they are licensed?

What happens if they don't have a license?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I personally have never heard of any local companies that have been stopped in regards to a license in question, but many companies in larger cities are targeted.

In the state of Michigan applying a pesticide without a license, can result in either a warning, a possible $1,000 fine, and/or jail time.

Steve
04-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Do police enforce this or epa? Or what?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Here in Michigan, the Michigan Department of Agriculture enforces the regulations

Steve
04-21-2006, 11:43 PM
So basically they can patrol a certain area and pull over a landscaper to see if they have chemicals in their vehicle. If they do and don't have a license, then they get cited?

tiedeman
04-21-2006, 11:51 PM
The exact procedure in regards to how they go about citing a business or individual I am not sure of.

But as I understand it, yes they can patrol a certain area and if they catch you, there is a chance you could be cited right then and there.

Steve
04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Does this effect your chances of getting a license in the future? Like do they ban you or can they ban you for sometime to not be able to get it?

tiedeman
04-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes. Here in Michigan you have to renew your business pesticide license every year, while your personal applicator license is good for 3 years.

Steve
04-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Very interesting and good information to know!

Billz
04-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Troy, what is the process to become a certified applicator here in Michigan? I got a letter from dept of ag warning me to be sure I am not applying anything, and I am not, I sub everything to a guy here....but I am interested in getting licensed or at least getting my company licensed.

Steve
04-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I would be interested in knowing how the testing differs for the company vs individual applicator as well.

Billz
04-22-2006, 12:56 AM
yes, I am wondering if I could hire an applicator part time, and use his license to get my company licensed.

Steve
04-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Good idea! Very creative! I wonder what Troy's view is.

tiedeman
04-22-2006, 02:40 PM
I really don't know about whether you could use someones experience to get a business license. There is actually no test for the business pesticide license part, just the applicator license part there are basically two tests to take.

These are the requirements for Michigan

To get an applicator license:
1. Take a core exam, and pass it with a 70% or better
2. Take a sub-group exam based on what field you are going to go into and you must pass it with a 70% or better

To get the business license you can get it two different ways:
1. Work for another company for a minimum of 2 years
2. Work for another company for a minimum of 1 year, and have 4 year college degree related to the green industry

kc2006
04-22-2006, 03:44 PM
They're more strict up in MI then in Ohio. Now wonder the application side of business is so untouched up there.

Here all you need is to show proof of insurance and have a commercial applicator's license and pay $35 and you have a business license.

tiedeman
04-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes, really strict. It took me a little over 2 years to get my business pesticide license. It was really hard. Then to get that license, you must show proof of a minimum coverage of insurance like you mentioned

Steve
04-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Troy,
This is another great reason to focus on this market because the barrier to enter is so high. It weeds out competitors.

Billz
04-23-2006, 12:29 AM
it doesn't weed out many guys. I see them every day, in unmarked trucks, with a spreader in the truck and few bags in back with it. I think part of the regulations to fert as a business is you have to have a truck that is lettered, and not even magnetic signs will work, right?

Well I wonder why I can't hire a guy from say TruGreen who is licensed in Michigan, and fert that way. I will never have the time to work for another company for 2 years to get a business license then...that is stupid. I sub all my fert stuff out now, but would like that to change one day. Would working one day per week for my fert guy serve as experience?

tiedeman
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Bill,
What I always push for when I meet customers is that I am licensed and certified through the state. I explain to them the cons of not hiring a license application company. Yes, I know that there are lawn care companies out there that still do applications and they don't have a license, but I think that more and more are realizing that what they are doing is illegal. Perfect example, I just talked with an LCO on Friday that I know has always done pesticide applications illegally, will he actually asked me if I would mind if he sent work my way because he doesn't want to get into trouble.

I think that it would be perfectly fine to sub-contract work out, but I don't think that you could hire someone on that has the experience, and then a get a business license off from just his experience. I could be wrong, but I don't think that you can.

Billz
04-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, if I was to take the tests and pass them for fert and such...how can I fertilize then without a business license? Could I sub the work to myself personally? Why will they give me a pesticide license but then not my company unless I had 2 years of experience with another company? That doesn't make sense to me.

tiedeman
04-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I know, it's really strict. They basically feel as I understand it that you can go work for another company though after you received your personal applicator license.

Now in regards to subing them out, I mean that you would sub they out to a pesticide company that does have it's business license

watleylawncare
04-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Does a lawn care company have to have a license to spray professional grade chemicals like weed killer and lawn fertilizers?

watleylawncare
04-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Hi fellow LCO's I'm loving this forum. Thanks everybody for the tips!Our Website (http://watleylawncare.com)

tiedeman
04-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Quote[/b] (watleylawncare @ April 25 2006,2:29)]Does a lawn care company have to have a license to spray professional grade chemicals like weed killer and lawn fertilizers?
It depends on the licensing in your particular state what is required. Some states require that you have a license for both pesticide and fertilizer, while others just pesticide.

AMW Graphics
04-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Quote[/b] (Billz @ April 23 2006,4:38)]Well, if I was to take the tests and pass them for fert and such...how can I fertilize then without a business license? Could I sub the work to myself personally? Why will they give me a pesticide license but then not my company unless I had 2 years of experience with another company? That doesn't make sense to me.
Yes you can use them to get the lic.
But they MUST BE A FULL TIME EMPLOYEE of your company and you may be asked to prove it.
This was as of 2 years ago, if they have changed the laws then i dont know..
And NO you cant just sub work to your self....to be a sub contractor you must have a Biz. in the 1st place, which means you still need a biz. lic too.
I know of at least 10 companies in my area that have been fined, and like troy pointed out can be $1000.00..for EACH app. which can get expensive if you get cought..
one guy was carrying a "route" sheet and they fined him for EVERY house on the sheet, was over $27K and I havent saw the guy in years...think he went out of biz.

Hope this helps a little..

kc2006
04-26-2006, 07:28 AM
What brought on the strict rules up there Troy? Like Bill said, that's strange that they'll give you a license as an individual but you have to jump through hoops to get a biz license.

When I got my license I got it just so I can legally spray non selective herbicides and apply pre-emergents to beds for when I do mulch installs or landscaping. Do guys even get licensed for that up there or do they just do it illegally? I'd hate to have the same situation down here, I'd end up just subing all that work out every time I did a bed or mulch install, that would be a hassle.

tiedeman
04-26-2006, 02:33 PM
The licensing applies to even general use pesticides that you can buy at like Home Depot. It's super strict.