PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Displays

Steve
01-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Quote[/b] ]I wanted to get into the seasonal displays last year with a company sign in threeor four of the yards we placed them in. I anticipated giving this product/service to the top three or four of my customers in return for the signage next to the display, these customers are in high traffic areas as well.

Very fascinating.
When you say seasonal displays, what would this consist of?
How would you charge for this?

Let me know and maybe we could help create more ideas on this.

Two_Dogs
01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Well we have the fall and summer/fourth of July displays worked out, we at the very least need a spring display to, at a minimum round out the seasons that are primary focus to us. The fall display consists of straw bales, gourds, pumpkins, stalks of dried corn, etc. while the summer/Fourth of July one will be a patriotic themed one. We take into account material costs plus markup and an estimate of manhours to deliver, assemble, dis-assemble and deliver and or dispose of. There will be some items that we will be able to re-use and will therefore store. This would all be calculated in a single price for simplicities sake.

We could use some ideas for a spring display and perhaps some ideas for an envelope stuffer for current clients and a flier to post/distribute.

Steve
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Would any of these displays include such items as holiday lighting, or inflatable decorations?

Such as items like this?

http://yardinflatables.com/Spring/Bunny_in_Basket.jpg

or this?

http://yardinflatables.com/Year%20Round/Flag.jpg

Two_Dogs
01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I want to try and stay away from lighting and inflatables. We had in mind more of the craft and nature type feel. In my neck of the woods women are the major decision makers when it comes to decorating inside and outside of the home, on a national level this somewhat dated article backs this up to some extent. http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/current/page47.html Although the article is a few years old I believe this to be the same case today as then.

I feel that in order to tap into this as far as seasonal displays we need to put a product out that the majority of women in the residential setting will find appealing. Thinking like a rustic style small piece of picket fence (half scale or smaller) painted with an distressed paint look (patriotic theme), maybe a small scale wooden wheelbarrow with a planter inside it, I don't know what else at this point still trying to add to this theme. Spring seems a bit tougher theme to nail down, I've loked on the web for ideas and really haven't hit on anything that makes me say WOW!! that's it! We are putting togethor some planters that we will maintain, I'm going to pick up the containers (large) Thursday. The plan is to target primarily our commercial accounts with these, but I can easily see this as an offering for residential clients as well.

Thanks for the ideas though TG lots of guys get involved with lighting, I just don't really get warm to that one though.

kc2006
01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Just a thought I'm going to toss out there for you.

Spring means flowers, sun, birds, new colors after a dull winter. What if you just went with planting "displays" of seasonal flowers? Get a few flats of annuals, maybe a bird bath, "cute" little bird feeders.....

Just a thought http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Two_Dogs
01-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Quote[/b] (kc2006 @ Jan. 25 2006,8:51)]Just a thought I'm going to toss out there for you.

Spring means flowers, sun, birds, new colors after a dull winter. What if you just went with planting "displays" of seasonal flowers? Get a few flats of annuals, maybe a bird bath, "cute" little bird feeders.....

Just a thought http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif
This is a possibility we have been giving thought to, thanks for the suggestion. Like I said we want to stick with the rustic/ natural/ craft type looks. Flats of annuals are for the most part inexpensive which is kind of what we are shooting for. Thats to say if it is an item for any display that carries an expense we would try and make that an item we could store and thereby re-use. Again this to me anyway, kind of ties in with our maintained planters offering for commercial clients. We IMO would simply be extending this service to our residential accounts, with a bit more expression.

Steve
01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
How about including in a package, a seasonal banner that you will hang and later take down. Such as this one which could be a part of a Mother's Day Package.

http://www.garden-flags.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/20925.gif

Maybe you could also include a door design as well.

http://flagsplus.com/flags/22542_open_closed.gif

Would you also want to include wood working crafts into your residential displays? Such as something like this? Along with some potted plants?

http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/swingcrafts/images/bboy2.jpg

What kind of price would you be shooting for to sell? Or would you have multiple packages?

What amount of profit would you want to make on the displays?

Two_Dogs
01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Wood crafts are an item we thought would be popular and we could re-use, store when not in use. I want to stay away from items that need to be mounted such as flags, although the doorhangers are an idea worth exploring.
I want one good, solid display to work with for starters, if this is an item that goes over well I would expand it with more variations. Really each one should contain the same basic "ingredients" how you use them will be dependent upon the property IMO thus giving the appearance/opportunity to create differing displays.

Our typical pricing structure for something like this would be a 100% markup in materials cost so if, for example a bale of straw,our cost, is $3 we would charge $6 this would cover our cost and delivery, this markup would be similar for re-usable items as we would need to take into account storage and eventual replacement. We charge an hourly rate of $45 p.m.h. so if two people take 1.5 hours to set up: 1.5 x $45 x 2 I would expect the tear down to be a bit quicker than the setup but this would be included in the price also, i.e. 1 x $45 x 2.
The better idea I have for materials the more concrete the pricing will be, but invoicing will be billed out as a total package not individual charges. I have a $ amount for flats of plants and large containers, but still need to locate some other items that would be popular, this is something as I said, for spring, I am still looking for.

Steve
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Something else I was thinking of was maybe offering three different packages maybe? Where say a basic package would just include a specific number of potted plants to put along a walkway or on the edge of a house's front stairs?

Two_Dogs
01-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Good idea TG this is what I'm leaning to for a spring display possibly an added expense to our maintenance plans, i.e. $x per week for maintaining the potted plants, fertilizing, watering, keeping weeds out, etc. What do you think?

Steve
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi Two_Dogs,

Absolutely!
That is a great add-on.

Ok, so to market this. Let's create a basic package to start with. So we can make some marketing material.

What will this package consist of?
How many potted plants?
What kinds of plants?
What size pot?
Anything else to add?
How much?
How much per week as an add on to maintain them?

Two_Dogs
01-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 26 2006,1:03)]Hi Two_Dogs,

Absolutely!
That is a great add-on.

Ok, so to market this. Let's create a basic package to start with. So we can make some marketing material.

What will this package consist of?
How many potted plants?
What kinds of plants?
What size pot?
Anything else to add?
How much?
How much per week as an add on to maintain them?
O.k. TG,

Three sizes of containers & prices, plant selections wat the end:

1.25 cubic ft - $32.99 per container to just place $4 per week per container to place and maintain with plant fertilizer and watering.

1 cubic ft - $27.99 per container for placement $3.50 per week per container to place and maintain.

.75 cubic ft - $23.99 per container for placement $3 per week per container to place and maintain.

Choice of annuals: Petunias, Pansies, Impatiens, Geraniums, Vincas, Daisies, Asters, and Marigolds.

Customer can request different size container to suit their needs, price will be determined by request.

Side note, we will be browsing through some craft and hobby stores on Tuesday, 1/31 in an effort to find more offerings for earlier spring. Also will pick up supplies to make cutouts, from plywood and other materials for summer and fall displays. I want to take a stab at making some wooden sunflowers, a scaled down rustic picket fence section, and a scaled down wooden wheelbarrow.

Steve
01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
How about something like this as an insert.

We could also potentially include a full color photo of other options when you put the display together and take a picture.

Two_Dogs
01-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Super job!! Thanks TG, I will definitely use this in letters, invoices, and include with promotional material the carpet cleaning owner will send out with his invoices. Pictures are in the works when this weather is better suited for them. Thanks again.

Steve
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi Two_Dogs,

Here is the pdf file (http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/potted_plants_upsell_1.pdf). I hope it is helpful.

Two_Dogs
01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks again TG I am very confident it will be.

UnitedEnvironment.com
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
I dont know how extensive you are may ever want to go with these displays. But our web show 'The Landscaper' has a halloween episode online where we built a display for a pizza parlor in town. For Christmas 2006 we will also be doing a Christmas display. It might not help, but maybe it will.

Steve
01-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi UnitedEnvironment.com,

What types of displays do you do for spring? Your halloween displays were fantastic.

UnitedEnvironment.com
01-30-2006, 07:40 PM
For spring we tend to do more on the basis of Flower arrangements by the square foot. Of course, nothing as fun as the halloween stuff, but hey it pays bills. Im located in NJ and geraniums are a huge hit here, umm, impatiens (spelling?) petunias, we dress up the fronts of the planting beds. Then we offer to pot arrangements where we mix a few flowers up, hanging baskets are good sellers, and we have a selection of flags to choose from that we buy wholesale off a fleamarket dealer.

its a nice touch, then you can offer watering and weeding services weekly, it all depends how crazy you want to get

by the way, im sure everyone has noticed we have not had a new video in a while, Our web editor who is a ver dear friend has muscular dystrophy, and he might need surgery where they insert rods in his chest to keep his muscles from clapsing his chest. He should come out of it fine, he had it once before in his back. Unfortunately his condition can only get worse with age, but he is in great spirits, and we have all been friends since before he ever considered the need for a wheelchair, so things should be getting updated soon. We have a couple episodes ready to go, so ill post when new ones are online

Two_Dogs
01-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Quote[/b] (UnitedEnvironment.com @ Jan. 30 2006,11:03)]I dont know how extensive you are may ever want to go with these displays. But our web show 'The Landscaper' has a halloween episode online where we built a display for a pizza parlor in town. For Christmas 2006 we will also be doing a Christmas display. It might not help, but maybe it will.
Thanks for the useful tip UnitedEnvironment, I like the Halloween idea. What you said in the last post is how I get started with this stuff (ideas) " it all depends how crazy you want to get " I find myself expanding/expounding on something that might just be the tip of the icebergin the beginning. I had planned all along we would certainly offer to maintain the plants for them.

Thanks again for the ideas.

T_D

Steve
01-31-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi UnitedEnvironment.com,

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I do look forwards to your next video updates.