PDA

View Full Version : What is happening with the auto industry?

Steve
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
For many many years nothing exciting came from the big three auto manufacturers. GM, Ford and Chrysler produced the same boring cars each and every year. Now Japanese auto manufacturers are clawing their way to the top. The Toyota Prius is the best selling hybrid.
It looks like this is a wake up call to the American Auto Industry. Will they awaken from their slumber and respond? Take a look at GM's new Camaro design.

Do you think this will help the industry get back on it's feet? Would you buy one?

tlclismore
01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Not unless it comes equiped with a 60" cutting deck.

tiedeman
01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
they need to get back to simple stupid. They need to provide a HIGH quality car that doesn't break down all the time with a great warranty at an affordable price. They also need to understand that people want vehicles with great gas mileage now.

I have my entire life owned GM vehicles because my family has worked for them (GM discount), but they break down so often and are made of very cheap material anymore. Unfortunately I am going to disappoint my family, because my next vehicle will be a Toyota.

Anothe thing going wrong with the industry is the Unions. My brother works for a plastic manufactor for ford, GM, etc. and he said that it is ridiculous what these guys make and they don't even have a college education. And you can not do anything unless it is union approved.

I hate to say this, but it was a good thing that the big 3 are cutting jobs. It is the best thing that they can do to hopefully jump start their profits. But I think that Toyota is and will be for a long time the big automaker.

Steve
01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Is Ford just not getting it?

Do we need a $100,000 pickup truck (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10754423/site/newsweek/site/newsweek/)? Or a more reliable and affordable pickup?

tiedeman
01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
have you seen what is inside that? Foot stools, cigar humidor, and countless other stupid stuff.

I think that we need a great gas mileage, low maintenance needed truck. I personally feel that people are going to start moving away from one ton and 3/4 ton trucks, and go smaller.