PDA

View Full Version : Website

tiedeman
11-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Does anybody know of a great site for website design and hosting. I currently use Verisign, but I am not happy because you can not go hog wild with the design. You are only limited to certain backgrounds.

I basically want to create my own website, but be free in what I can create.

Steve
11-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi tiedeman,

I have heard positive comments about www.godaddy.com.

Are you going to be designing your website yourself? What kind of things are you going to be changing for your new website?

tiedeman
11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I just want a more cleaner looking professional website than I currently have. One website that I absolutely love is http://www.rivertownlandscapes.com/ It just looks very clean and professional.

tiedeman
11-23-2005, 03:03 PM
I also like Site (http://www.hesslawns.com)

Steve
11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Oh that is a very nice site. What was your website? I'd like to see to compare and contrast them.

You know I was thinking. We could work on a web concept for you that would promote you and your company. The unique selling proposition would be that no one else stands behind their work like you do.
So often we see websites and marketing material with little or no mention of the owner. Why is this? This is a service industry. People will choose their service provider based on the service results, price as well as how they get along with the person providing the service. I bet if we made you the star of your marketing material and website, it would make all the difference for your company and make you stand out.

What do you think of this?

tiedeman
11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
email me and we could talk about it some more

tiedeman
11-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Nov. 23 2005,3:06)]Oh that is a very nice site. What was your website? I'd like to see to compare and contrast them.

You know I was thinking. We could work on a web concept for you that would promote you and your company. The unique selling proposition would be that no one else stands behind their work like you do.
So often we see websites and marketing material with little or no mention of the owner. Why is this? This is a service industry. People will choose their service provider based on the service results, price as well as how they get along with the person providing the service. I bet if we made you the star of your marketing material and website, it would make all the difference for your company and make you stand out.

What do you think of this?
I haven't heard anything back about the website idea

Steve
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I will make a new post (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=1656) for this in the web discussion section and hopefully I will be able to get ritchiem to join in as well. He is a great designer.

ritchiem
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
My head is not going to be able to fit into this forum if you keep that up TG. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

ritchiem
12-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey tideman...do you have a website up and running atm? Perhaps we could work together on making it better!

tiedeman
12-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Richard, I emailed you by the way

ritchiem
12-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Tiedeman...this is what I was thinking for your site...clean simple...just an idea what do you think?

http://designinq.com/graphics/tiedeman_sample.gif

Accuscapes Landscaping
12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Hello tiedeman and thanks for the help with my gopher program. I did purchase it. I still am not up to speed have a few more questions maybe you could help. I am reolying to the godaddy sugjestion. I purchased my domain and they host my web page but from talking to them what they have to offer that you can doo yourself is not really all that great. I understand they have templates and you can not be as free as you want. I am using a customer to do my web page and he has created a few that look pretty good. If you still need some help send me a pm. My sight is still under construction but you can feel free to look at it and watch it as in the next few weeks it grows. www.accuscapeslandscaping.com I had another page same address and did not like it, so manny just did this over the last weekend. can't find the spell check.

tiedeman
12-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Dec. 02 2005,9:03)]Hey Tiedeman...this is what I was thinking for your site...clean simple...just an idea what do you think?

http://designinq.com/graphics/tiedeman_sample.gif
I think that it looks good, just needs to be cleaned up a little bit. Like have the right logo, and everything. But other than that I think it looks great.

tiedeman
12-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Quote[/b] (Accuscapes Landscaping @ Dec. 02 2005,10:26)]Hello tiedeman and thanks for the help with my gopher program. I did purchase it. I still am not up to speed have a few more questions maybe you could help. I am reolying to the godaddy sugjestion. I purchased my domain and they host my web page but from talking to them what they have to offer that you can doo yourself is not really all that great. I understand they have templates and you can not be as free as you want. I am using a customer to do my web page and he has created a few that look pretty good. If you still need some help send me a pm. My sight is still under construction but you can feel free to look at it and watch it as in the next few weeks it grows. www.accuscapeslandscaping.com I had another page same address and did not like it, so manny just did this over the last weekend. can't find the spell check.
If you still have any problems I would be more than happy to help you with the learning. *Like I said, I think that it took me probably one month (one billing period) were I was really comfortable with it and knew a lot of it. *I found that one of the best things to do was enter the rates for the customers and services right off the bat. *That really helps out

Once you go through the first billing period it is so smooth. *I am proud to say that I use all of the features. *I just used the Matrix about 3 weeks ago for snow removal for the first time and that was sweet. *Talk about easy to use.

Steve
12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Here is a web template layout idea. This goes along the theory of making the business owner the star.
What makes one company different from another? I feel it is the owner and the owner's ability to perform that personal service. You can make your company stand out by standing out yourself.
As a consumer, who would you rather choose to provide you service? A company where you know the owner or a company whom you don't know who is in charge?
Personally, I would feel a lot better letting someone on my property providing me a service if I knew them. So then the goal is to sell yourself through your website and in turn this will sell your company.

Let me know what you think.

ritchiem
12-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Nice job TG.

ritchiem
12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
There ya go tiedeman...refresh your browser and look at the image again. However I do like TG's idea as well. What do you think?

tiedeman
12-03-2005, 12:37 AM
that looks good Richard. How can I run with that now? I sent you an email

Steve
12-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Nice work ritchiem http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kc2006
12-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Good topic, I was just wondering the same thing. I have my website with godaddy, it was cheap to register it and I had always heard their advertisments. But the website creator lacks alot.

Right now the website is kinda bland, but its to the point. I had to use some of the gopher templetes to spice it up http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Steve
12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
What are your next big plans for your website?

kc2006
12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
TG, if your referring to me with the question.

I don't have big plans for the website really. My whole reason behind starting a website was for reference. I have the web address on every advertising piece I ever put out, its also on my truck. (a "window banner" accross the top of the windshield and rear window) If someone see's my truck and see's the logo/name, but can't remember the number, they can go online and put in the name just as they see it and boom theres the website with information about who we are. Also it just adds a more professional image to my advertising because as of now, none of my competition has a website.

I would just like to have more control over the design of the site, currently the godaddy designer won't let you do much, just add pictures, text, cant mess with the background much and can't move things around much. It's like a "my first web designer" haha.

I have to figure out how to switch to a different hosting site and all that also.

Steve
12-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi kc2006,

Can't you use any html program to create your site? That would give you more control over your site. The godady designer, I think, is just there to help but isn't mandatory to use.

ritchiem
12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey kc2006 what is your website url?

kc2006
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
www.kdclawncare.com

TG, I'm not very good with design, so to do html it just wouldn't work. I still need a more basic design program/tool to make the site. I'm not really up on web design, or any graphic design really.

ritchiem
12-21-2005, 08:48 AM
I think that you have done a good job on the site so far. You need to optimize the images for faster download, right now their file sizes are too large.

Is there a Gopher website Template that you would like to use for your site?

kc2006
12-22-2005, 10:33 AM
I haven't looked at the templetes since last year, but the one that I used the image from for the main page was nice from what I remember.

pnplawn
01-05-2006, 03:50 AM
I have site up runing http://www.pnplawncare.com if you like check it out. I host all my own stuff I built a Unix FREEBSD5.0 server host my own website , email server my own DNS server so on. All I pay for is my domain for the year and my ISP service with Static IP. Nice to know about computers and networking.

ritchiem
01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey pnplawn,

Good job on the website...try to put your logo image into your header image. And you have way too many meta keywords...try to pick the best ones and seperate them with a comma.