PDA

View Full Version : Teaching employees english?

Steve
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Have you ever found yourself needing to teach your employees english? How did that situation work out?

Teaching English to Spanish-speaking employees (http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/24/magazines/fsb/language.fsb/index.htm?postversion=2007012614) - Employers and their workers often don't speak the same language. A new company called TV Trainer hopes to change that with a series of videos designed to teach Spanish-speaking employees workplace English. But for the Edina, Minn., firm to succeed, it will have to compete against established teaching practices that have been used and tweaked for years. Here's how it stacks up against other teaching tools.

For $400, these DVDs and videos can teach large groups of employees at once, but there's no live teacher to correct enunciation and other mistakes. (tvtrainer.tv)

PremierLand
03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
what about teaching ukrainian or polish people english?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I think I would make a deal with the employee. Purchase the thing, learn english, work for me a minimum of two years, and the company will reimburse you when you come back for the third year. If they picked up english by the end of the season, reimburse them when they show up the following year.

That kind of money is large in most of the impoverished countries those folks come from, so it might work. Additionally, it takes a lot of nerve to leave everything to come here. That kind of drive will likely enable them to learn quite quickly.