PDA

View Full Version : Should employees be fined?

Steve
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Should employees be fined for not living healthier lifestyles? It seems Scotts Lawn Care is doing just that.

What's your view on this?

Get Healthy—Or Else (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_09/b4023001.htm) - Scotts employees are now urged to take exhaustive health-risk assessments. Those who balk pay $40 a month more in premiums. Using data-mining software, Whole Health analysts scour the physical, mental, and family health histories of nearly every employee and cross-reference that information with insurance-claims data. Health coaches identify which employees are at moderate to high risk. All of them are assigned a health coach who draws up an action plan. Those who don't comply pay $67 a month on top of the $40. "We tried carrots," says Benefits Chief Pam Kuryla. "Carrots didn't work."

Many employees found Hagedorn's new policy intrusive. Topic A: the health assessment questionnaires, which asked things like: Do you smoke? Drink? What did your parents die of? Do you feel down, sad, hopeless? Burned out? How is your relationship with your spouse? Your kids? Are you pregnant, diabetic, suffering from high cholesterol? The tobacco ban was controversial, too, especially at the manufacturing plants, where Skoal chewers are common. Hagedorn wasn't unsympathetic. After all, it took his own wife three years to quit smoking. Scotts employees would get all the help they needed.

tiedeman
03-16-2007, 02:43 PM
I believe that those that smoke should pay more. I used to have an employee that smoked that I paid for his health insurance. It cost me an additional $216 a year for him. Imagine if you had 100 employees that smoked, that would be around $21,600 a year in just extra health insurance costs.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I see the logic to it. Saves the insurance company money because the employee will have fewer health problems. The trickle down will hopefully reach the rest of us via lower premiums once enough people stop smoking and take better care of themselves.

The only thing I don't like about it is the way the insurance companies put themselves in the driver's seat and force us how to go on with our lives.

Steve
03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
When insurance costs are higher due to an employees smoking, it seems like it should be passed on to the employee.

Quote[/b] ]The only thing I don't like about it is the way the insurance companies put themselves in the driver's seat and force us how to go on with our lives.

True, very true.