PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Employees

tiedeman
12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
How many of you have had nightmare employees? What were some of the situations and what did you do about them?

tlclismore
12-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I had a female Horticulturalist working for me for 6 months & when she started she didn't know which end of a lawn mower was which. I trained her up to be pretty good worker that could do just about everything that was asked of her but she decided that she could run her own lawn and garden business in another town on the side, taking time off to attend to her sick children was the excuse. She also kept loosing equipment (only at one end of town, the end of town that she had to drive past to go home). I saw her advertisement in the local paper (in the other town). I checked to see if she had registered her business name and found that it had been done 2 months prior. So I let her have enough rope to hang her self for a week then I confronted her with what I had learned and she said that she was waiting for the right moment to tell me that she was going to start her own business. I told her that there's no time like the present and told her that at the end of her shift to hand in her uniform and collect her pay. I also told her if she had of been up front with me I would have lent her some of my old machinery and given her some customers in her area to help her get started. She said that she would love to have them and the equipment, I then said to her that she was not up front with me so she could do as I did and start from scratch and I would not be giving her anything but a wave as she went out the gate.

I don't put up with dishonest people at all.

tiedeman
12-28-2006, 09:39 AM
That is pretty low that she would do something like that

tlclismore
12-31-2006, 07:08 AM
Quote[/b] (tiedeman @ Dec. 28 2006,12:39)]That is pretty low that she would do something like that
It's an occupational hazard of the business.
You have to teach you employees the correct ways to do things and once they become good at it they think running the rest of the business is easy. Some of them make it but a large percentage under quote just to get business and don't last to long in the game.

Steve
01-02-2007, 02:18 AM
It reminds me of the book the e-myth, how it discusses that there is a different skill set needed from say being a landscaper vs. running a business that sells landscaping services.