PDA

View Full Version : What's holding you back?

Steve
12-02-2005, 12:01 PM
What are the biggest hurdles you face in trying to grow?

Steve
12-02-2005, 12:01 PM
daren_r said

Having a full time job not related to the green industry. As much as I would love to up and quit sometimes, it is just not feasible. I need to depend on that income so I can purchase and pay for the equipment I need for this business while it grows. The problem is that I am growing to a point where it is getting hard to take care of the lawns I do when the days get shorter but can't give up the day job.

mowboy
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
I sympathize with daren_r... I remember when I first started my business. I too was working full time and squeezing my customers in after my day job and on weekends. I was working in the green industry and when my boss found out he felt it was a conflict of interest and let me go (even though I never stole his customers or used his time for my work).

Anyway, point is I never looked back. I had to hustle for work and had to count my pennies for a while but overall it turned out to be a good thing. I'm not advising you quit your job because I don't know your situation but if it is a challenge to keep up with the work you get now it will be difficult or impossible to grow (as you stated).

I found the biggest obstacle to growth was maintaining profit and quality as you hire staff to do the work.

Steve
12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Impact said

I would have to say manpower. I am actually downsizing our business(in respect to services offered) this fall for next spring as a result of a very shallow labor pool here. It's amazing how many people say they want to work until it's presented to them. The last guy that wanted a job wanted Fridays off each week, and requested at least $ 6.00 per hour to start. I offered $ 9.00 to start, but told him no way on every Friday, and he passed on the job. I asked why he needed every Frday off, and he said so he had time to party and recover by Monday...Nice.., huh? We're buying bigger and better equipment, replacing the need for 2 extra laborers. The equipment never calls in sick , has fights with its girfriend, or shows up hungover.

Steve
12-02-2005, 12:23 PM
muddstopper said

Laborers, without a doubt. I cant seem to find any that has drivers license or who will work for more than a few days. Like impact, I keep changeing equipment to make the work easier and faster so less manpower is required. Even still, I have to have licensed drivers to move the trucks.