PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on Employment Letter

ritchiem
12-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I need some help with an employment letter. I'll put down what I have already. I need it to fit on to one page (right now it is about 1 1/3 pages). I want to attract the right professional people with horticulture background. Any help would be great

Landmark Design Ltd is looking for several key people to add to our Maintenance Division for the 2006 season.

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a seasonal, full-time, 8-month per year position (April November). The normal hours of work will be 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (with a half-hour lunch period), Monday through Friday. The effective date of employment will be arranged with the operations manager.

DEFINITION:
Under the general supervision of the Operations Manager, to perform a wide variety of routine grounds keeping duties with only occasional instruction or assistance and to perform related work as required.

EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
a. Plant and cultivate trees, grass, flowers, and shrubs.
b. Maintain landscaped areas, cut and edge lawns and borders.
c. Rake leaves; sweep lawns, sidewalks, and related areas.
d. Prepare soil for various kinds of planting.
e. Operate power lawn mowers, edgers and blowers.
f. May perform preventive maintenance on grounds equipment.
g. Perform related work as required.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Knowledge of:
1. Proper methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the grounds maintenance trade.
2. Basic types of plants and shrubs, their characteristics and care requirements.
3. Plant care techniques.
4. Basic math.
5. Simple record keeping.
6. Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.

Ability to:
7. Use hand tools, such as shovels, hoes, and rakes.
8. Maintain assigned tools and equipment in clean working order providing proper security and
maintenance.
9. Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices, and possession of a valid, appropriate, and unrestricted Ontario Driver's License.
10. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
11. Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work.

Education and Experience:
12. Individuals possessing the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above are considered to possess the
necessary education.
13. Recent experience in grounds maintenance would be a plus.

Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
14. Applicant must be able to perform and meet the physical demands required in this capacity.
15. Willingness to work occasional Saturdays and longer hours as required in emergencies to meet deadlines.

APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
The completed application for this specific position must be submitted directly to the Operations Manager.

Richard Murphy
Landmark Design Ltd.
Box 236
Thornbury, ON N0H2P0
Re: Employment

Applications can be mailed to the address above or faxed to XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Because of possible postal delays, it is suggested when feasible you mail out your resume before the closing date deadline. Postmark on or before deadline date is acceptable. Landmark Design will consider only individuals who meet the minimum requirements. We thank everyone who submits a resume, however only a limited number of applicants will be invited for interview(s) at their own expense.

Steve
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi ritchiem,

Here is a help wanted letter which summized things into about two paragraphs. Could this be done with yours?
Quote[/b] ]
DIRECTOR OF MAINTENANCE

Connex/ATC of Nevada, a management organization contracted to operate Citizens Area Transit (CAT) in Las Vegas, Nevada, is seeking applicants for the Director of Maintenance position. CAT is a Fixed Route system with over 300 Fixed Route coaches and 50 Double Decker coaches employing over 1,100 individuals. ATC also operates a Specialized Services system with over 55 passenger vans and cutaways and a Bus Rapid Transit system with 10 coaches.

All applicants are expected to have the following qualifications: experience in directing/ managing a large 24/7 fleet maintenance operation to include facilities maintenance; experience in negotiating and working with a unionized workforce; experience with working with large budgets and controlling costs; excellent communications skills; a minimum of a technical undergraduate degree (e.g. mechanical engineering, etc.), or an amount of relevant work experience to substitute for a degree; and a demonstrated commitment to staying current with technological and business advancements that affect the maintenance field.

Salary depends on the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.

Interested applicants may submit a resume with a cover letter indicating salary requirements, etc. to the following address by
Friday, December 16, 2005:

Connex/ATC
3210 Citizen Avenue
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
Attn: Recruiter/D.O.M

Or fax to:

702-636-0562

www.atclv.com

www.veoliatransportation.com

ATC has merged with Connex, a Veolia Transportation company

ritchiem
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes it is good to see different ways to format such a letter. Thanks TG...if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to add them.

mowboy
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey Richard,

I think the letter is well put together. I like the point form and it certainly gives the reader all the necessary information. I think if you needed to shorten it you could combine or eliminate some of the points. For example, basic math and simple record keeping could be combined (or removed).

If I may be blunt (and I know you Richard so I will be) *http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I'd try to lighten the tone just a little bit and I'd get rid of the last paragraph entirely. It's a little stuffy - I'd expect such wording from a big corporation. You are a small business. Small business is fun, not stuffy. I think simply stating an application due date is sufficient. I also think (and this was just my personal philosopy... others may differ) that everyone who sends you an application should be contacted. Even if it's just to say 'thanks, you did not meet the qualifications this time' or 'thanks, we'll keep your resume on file'. Oh, and don't make them write 'Re: Employment' on the envelope... again, too stuffy (unless you really do have so many departments that a resume without this line would get lost *http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Anyway, nice job with the letter. My advice is just to lighten it up and bit and make Landmark Designs sound like the great company to work for that I'm sure it is.