PDA

View Full Version : my huskys down

comanche
05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
hey,
Was cutting a huge lawn with my husky tractor. Then i heard a loud wineing and then a clunk. Oh ####, What happened. Looked to see if the axle broke or something. Nope. Finished the rest of the lawn by push mower, which with the tractor should have taken maybe 20 min, but took me an extra hour and a half. Pushed the tractor up on to the trailer. The husky dealer said that the hydrostatic transmision died. Took some time and dissasmebled the tractor to see if i could do anything to fix it myself. Nope. The dealer said the hydrostatic wasent servisable.Crap. So the tractor will go to the tractor heaven or maybe ill try to find a new trany. Dont know. Hey maybe now i have a good excuse to buy a new tractor. Maybe a john deere. Any ideas. Looking for something 36 to 41 in dech. Any input helps. Thanks, Mike

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Mike, sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I have run Scag (and others) hydrostatics for over 10 years with excellent results but I am a maintenance freak when it comes to changing oil and filters.

What was your maintenance schedule for changing fluid and filters? Does your mower have an oil cooler? Quality hydrostatic pumps will last several thousand hours if maintained properly but they don't do well with grit, spent oil, or overheating.

Are you set on a tractor or have you thought about a Z or a walkbehind lawn mower?

Keith

quickcleanlawn
05-31-2008, 11:55 AM
yea dude that sucks.
one thing I know about Husky is parts are expensive !
I'm getting readyto buy a rider 155, Its sweet n all but I'm afraid of having to repair it.Its also its hard to find dealers down here.
Good luck.

comanche
06-02-2008, 12:30 AM
hey guys,
Thanks for the concern. I sat down with my dealer and brainstormed for a while and we both decided that if i was going to spend the money to fix the husky why not use it for the winter months(snow plowing) and buy a comercial mower,a 36 in walk behind($2500-3000) or invest in a new comercial 45 in deck mower( cant remember the name). That way i have both end covered. As of now i had only the one tractor for both seasons. The john deere was something that i thought i could get. The dealer told me that if you buy a machine that is in the same range of price as a competitor, usually the same supplier supplies the same parts for all the different manufacturers. So that means that it sort of you paying for just the name. (makes sence?) Any questions just ask me ill get back to ya asap. Find out monday if i can get a trany for the husky. Wish me luck. Thanks

Steve
06-02-2008, 01:59 AM
What would it cost to replace the transmission? Is this something you could buy used on the internet to keep everything on the cheap?

comanche
06-03-2008, 12:54 AM
good question.
Today i went in and asked if they can get me a new trany or if they could do anything for me. They said that the trany is not made anymore also the trany is meant to be thrown out and just replaced. So im out of luck. I have lots of experience with milling and stuff so im gona try to see if i can get a gear or make one . Dont know what i need yet, Gona tear it down myself. Maybe just nee a gear or a new spline. Ill keep you posted. Ill give you guys a brand name next time. Maybe that wll help, too.

comanche
06-03-2008, 12:56 AM
sorry didnt answer, how much. Was $800 dollars to replace, when they were still made.

Steve
06-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Have you looked online at all for them? Maybe someone has figured out a way to rebuild them?

Were you able to even take the trany apart at all or is that not even possible?

comanche
06-03-2008, 11:24 PM
haven't had a chance to take it apart yet but i will. Yup you can take it apart Ill keep you posted

comanche
06-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

Finally have a bit of time to take the trany apart. Its a peerless/techumsen transaxle. The transaxle came apart in two pieces and after a look i found a rounded off gear and shaft. The bearing on the shaft was non existant. Going to the machine shop to see if he can do anything for me first. Looked online at peerless transaxles and didn't find the parts i was lookin for. I'll keep you guys posted. It wasn't hard at all. I think i was sykeing myself out.

Mike

Steve
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Quote[/b] ]It wasn't hard at all. I think i was sykeing myself out.

I think we all tend to do that. Can you imagine how many things we hold ourselves back from accomplishing? I bet it is a lot.

I am looking forwards to your updates. You should take some pictures of it too.

comanche
06-13-2008, 10:52 PM
hey,
this is what is left of my bearing. Have more pictures, i will try to put them in too.

comanche
06-13-2008, 10:54 PM
picture # 2 - The good bearing vs the bad bearing.

comanche
06-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Picture # 3 - this is my trans axle.

comanche
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
picture # 4 - at the right of the splines there is a stripped spot where the gear just spun. So, because the bearing was gone the gear stripped under the pressure. At least thats my theory. took the shaft and the gear to the machine shop and they are gonna fix me up. I will keep you posted.
Mike

Steve
06-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Oh wow! Those are great pics! I look forwards to seeing what you do to repair that!

comanche
06-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Hey

Got the parts back from the machine shop. Here is some pics. The shaft was turned to a different diameter to work with the bushing. Believe it or not but this is the same bearing but with a bushing inserted.

comanche
06-15-2008, 11:49 PM
This is the gear that was striped on the shaft. It was silver soldered. I was told that this is very strong. It souldn't break again.

comanche
06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
So how its goin to work is the bushing will be on one side and the bering on the other. Should work just fine.

comanche
06-15-2008, 11:57 PM
my husky will be alive again! Only cost me $125 instead of buying a whole new tractor.