PDA

View Full Version : in the rain

comanche
05-27-2008, 02:12 AM
hi

I dont cut when it is raining What dose everyone else do. Cut in the rain or not. I have down time when it rains.

Little's
05-27-2008, 02:35 AM
If it is just drizzling, I will cut still. But if the rain is pouring, I take a little time off. I still see others out in the rain. They must be getting paid on the per cut basis. The majority of my lawn customers that I still have (about 50% of my work is lawn care, 50% is tree work) pay me a flat monthly rate regardless of times cut. So I dont sweat it when it rains hard, I just take the day off.

musician/lawnman
05-27-2008, 07:26 AM
In Florida from june -november it tends to rain everyday. Most days It dumps it in buckets from about 3pm - 4pm and stops. Somedays it's all day long. and every morning the grass is soaked til about 10 am. I try not to but during that time of year if I wasn't willing to cut it wet I'd get so far behind it would be March before I caught up! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have a mulch deck & it cloggs constantly with wet grass. I gotta clean it out by hand 5-6 times a day. FUN FUN FUN.

quickcleanlawn
05-27-2008, 08:36 AM
I used to cut in the rain , as long as it wasent bad.
but someone told me cutting wet grass really puts a beating on the equipment.

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Quote[/b] (Little's @ May 27 2008,2:35)]If it is just drizzling, I will cut still. But if the rain is pouring, I take a little time off. I still see others out in the rain. They must be getting paid on the per cut basis. The majority of my lawn customers that I still have (about 50% of my work is lawn care, 50% is tree work) pay me a flat monthly rate regardless of times cut. So I dont sweat it when it rains hard, I just take the day off.
could you explain to me how a monthly rate works. I have heard about it but just dont know anything about it.

Little's
05-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Quote[/b] (Andrew's Lawn Care @ June 01 2008,4:53)]Quote[/b] (Little's @ May 27 2008,2:35)]If it is just drizzling, I will cut still. But if the rain is pouring, I take a little time off. I still see others out in the rain. They must be getting paid on the per cut basis. The majority of my lawn customers that I still have (about 50% of my work is lawn care, 50% is tree work) pay me a flat monthly rate regardless of times cut. So I dont sweat it when it rains hard, I just take the day off.
could you explain to me how a monthly rate works. I have heard about it but just dont know anything about it.
Basically I just quote them a monthly price for a year around service, like $150 per month. They pay me the same every month. Through the growing season, I end up doing a little extra work, but through the Winter months I may only show up once or twice in the month (instead of every week).
This is a nice way to set up your accounts, because you can guarantee income even through the slow times.
Just make sure you explain it up front to your customers, I have never had a customer who wasnt ok with it.

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Let me see if i have this straight...you figure what it will cost to mow once then figure out what a monthly fee should be. So basically lets just say it starts to snow in july (lol) you would still get paid?

Little's
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Quote[/b] (Andrew's Lawn Care @ June 01 2008,7:43)]Let me see if i have this straight...you figure what it will cost to mow once then figure out what a monthly fee should be. So basically lets just say it starts to snow in july (lol) you would still get paid?
Yes, but where I live we have all 4 seasons. It usually doesnt vary much. Snow isnt much of a factor here, it usually doesnt stick, but I can figure servicing 2 times (sometimes 1 depending on rain) per month in Nov. Dec. Jan. Feb. then regularly the rest of the year.

Andrew's Lawn Care
05-31-2008, 11:57 PM
so then if you change the snow example to pouring rain. Am i close to what you are talking about?

Little's
06-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Quote[/b] (Andrew's Lawn Care @ June 01 2008,7:57)]so then if you change the snow example to pouring rain. Am i close to what you are talking about?
Exactly!

comanche
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Hey Guys,

Anyone use the side shute when it rains? You know just shoot it out the side.

Mike http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif