PDA

View Full Version : Tree Cutting

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I fell a 60' chestnut tree today. My experience in tree work is very limited and I forgot what fun and a challenge it is to drop a tree in a confined space.

I may have to pick Little's brain one of these days as I have a hankering to learn how to climb a tree and disassemble it with ropes, pullies, and a chainsaw. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Keith

Steve
05-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I am gonna send him a message to see if he can help http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

UniversityLandscapers
05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I dropped a few 50' pine trees last year, and I agree. It feels so powerful wielding the chainsaw and watching the tree fall. I had to fight with my other employees over who got to do the cuts. lol

Steve
05-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Dave,

How did you estimate that job? Could you give us any tips or pointers?

Little's
05-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey Keith. I am always available if you need any questions answered, or help with anything. You can reach me at 530-917-3344.
I agree it can feel pretty powerful dropping a huge tree. I also like after a long day of climbing around a tree and then finishing for the day and looking back and realizing that nothing got broke! Thats a good feeling too.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-24-2008, 02:51 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CD2V8GFqk_Y&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CD2V8GFqk_Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

UniversityLandscapers
05-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ May 22 2008,1:26)]Dave,

How did you estimate that job? Could you give us any tips or pointers?
All that kind of stuff I just charge a flat hourly rate. I was there with two other guys, so I was charging $105/hour. It was a big job where we were clearing out a lot of brush etc. so I just billed hourly for the whole time we were there.

Steve
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
How many hours would you suggest it would take to do that job?

UniversityLandscapers
05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't really know...I usually just guesstimate and tell people that I'm doing so. I try to overquote, so I can come in under the price and make people happy. I did that with a job this week where I had no idea how long it would take. It was a completely overgrown yard that they wanted cleaned out. I ended coming up 4 man hours under my 16 man hour quote, so they were happy.

comanche
05-26-2008, 12:12 AM
i usually quote what i think it would take by the size of the tree. The height tells me how long ill be cutting the branches into manageable pieces to fit in the trailer. The width tells me how long ill be digging out roots because the conopy usually tells you how far out the roots go. Then i add on how long i think i would take to clean up debris and add on the dump charge(if their is a fee to take the debris to the dump)and also the time it takes to unload the trailer at the dump. The end cost usually works out. On the quote you need to put that you may need to include extra costs because of not being able to see through to the roots of the tree. Their might be huge bolders that you have to contend with.

Steve
05-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Mike,

For this situation, can you say what you would charge for the removal of a 60 ft tree?

comanche
05-26-2008, 11:42 PM
sure steve,

I usually go by height. A 15 foot tree can take up to 5 hours to just cut, buck load and unload. So times that by 4 and there you have the approx time for a 60' Tree. You can figure out the cost by multiplying the hours by how much your charge per hour rate is.

UniversityLandscapers
05-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Mike,

You dig out the stumps when you cut down a tree? Wow...that must take forever. I've always left the stumps after cutting trees down and told them they could have it ground, but we don't do that. How long does it usually take to dig out a stump?

comanche
05-27-2008, 12:09 AM
hey Dave,

Usually if the trees diameter is more then the size of my arms around. Ill get a guy that i know with a skin steer to dig it out and have the cost included. It pays to know the guys with the right equipment that have the knowledge and the ability to work with you and not against you. If the tree stump is small you just take a pick axe and follow the main roots out. The roots will go out as far or farther than the canopy was. The root diameter gets progressivelly smaller as you go. I have an old chainsaw that i use for stubborn roots. I also have a six foot long steel pry bar to help me along. Usually takes a couple of hours but is cheaper then if i had the skid steer guy come in.

UniversityLandscapers
05-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Ah...the only stumps we've ever dug out were very small, except for one on a recent turf job that we dug out with the skid steer. I hate digging stumps out. I guess it's a good call to have an old chainsaw for stumps. After doing the last couple, we had to buy a new chain cause it just wrecked ours.

comanche
05-27-2008, 12:45 AM
I try to get out as much as i can because if the roots rot and there is grass there or the customer wants grass, there will be a ugly lookin, sinking spot. Also some molds from the rotting roots can transfer to the grass.

Little's
05-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I took out 2 oaks last week in a yard. Both were over 25 ft tall. Cut up, and removed them in 4 hours total. I always bid them a flat rate. I can usually guess within an hour or so how long they will take. I bidded the trees at $700, and finished an hour ahead of scheduled. Worked out ok.
I dont do stumps. I just tell them to call a stump guy. I have never lost a job because of it. Maybe in the future if I find a good deal on a grinder or something I will offer it.

Steve
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Quote[/b] ]I dont do stumps. I just tell them to call a stump guy. I have never lost a job because of it.

I have noticed a lot of tree companies don't offer stump removal either. Is there a reason why this is? Could you rent a stump grinder and still make money off the job if a stump grinder is too expensive to buy?

comanche
05-28-2008, 01:03 AM
I think that you can make money still.Its similar to what some companies do when you need to aerate a lawn. The machine gets rented and you add the cost into the over all cost.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-28-2008, 01:28 AM
I sell used stumpgrinders. Hard to find good low hour units that don't need alot of work. I've owned a couple and made good money. Did 565 stumps on one golf course and 110 on another. Used it with our land clearing crew to take out stumps near lot property lines where we couldn't dig. The key is marketing the service to landscapers, tree removal, general public, builders, and golf courses. Get a machine big enough to not spend all day on one stump. I had receiver hitches on the front bumpers of my trucks so we could steer the grinder into position and move it real easy.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Special GopherHaul forum deal on both used stumpgrinders I have in stock. Take either a $1000 discount or free shipping. I just installed a new $500 drive belt on the Carlton 7500. Lease financing for businesses is available from Crest Capital, Direct Capital, or Harbor.

Visit my web site: http://www.usedstumpgrinders.com

Steve
05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Eric,

Thank you for this offer. You should also consider listing your used stump grinders for sale in our equipment section as well. With pictures.

Steve
05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Eric,

Do you have any advice as to how to estimate stump grinding jobs?

Any tricks of the trade you had learned offering this service?

I bet a lot of readers would like to hear your insight.

StealthDumpTrucks
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I added a few thoughts on it in your equipment section.

Steve
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Here is the link.

Great thoughts Eric!

Thanks!

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum....t=8106; (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=28;t=8106;)