PDA

View Full Version : I am confused.

COWPOP
05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Why do people want there grass mowed everyother week than once a week? It seems that everyone we have talked two wants the yard mowed this way. Since we are new to this we are taking what we can get, but this causes a problem. What do others do to discourage customers from doing this?
Thanks for the help.
Charlie

musician/lawnman
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I charge bi-weekly's as 1.5 times the normal rate to cover the extra time & fuel used to clean up the overgrown mess every 2 weeks. You can't afford to cut twice the grass for th same price.... I give estimates as weekly rates_ (cutting every weeks all through growing season) or
Monthly rates__ (set rate all year long regardless of # of cuts per month or season)
Bi weekly saves me a trip to the house but that's it. It takes twice as long (or #### close) once you get there. Don't do it for free.

Hope that helps.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Quote[/b] ]Why do people want there grass mowed everyother week

Most of the time, these customers are trying to save money by having you come out 1/2 as often. I have even had customers try to contract with me on the 1st and 15th of the month because that is when they get paid.

Alternate weeks might be okay during really dry weather or during low growth months but resist bi-weekly scheduling as a normal course of doing business. Not only does the lawn take longer to complete and is harder on your equipment but the untidiness of their lawn reflects poorly on your reputation.

Keith

Steve
05-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Charlie,

Have these posts given you ideas on how to handle this situation? What will you be doing in the future when a customer requests bi-weekly?

UniversityLandscapers
05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Almost all of my customers are bi-weekly. I don't really have a problem with it, since they usually don't fertilize their lawns or do anything else, so the grass doesn't grow all that much. If their lawns are garbage then I don't have a problem with it. I mow my own lawn twice a week since it needs it, so if it's really an issue of need just tell them straight.

All Aspects Landscaping
05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Our company policy is that we do not under any circumstances take on a biweekly account. Doesnt matter if it is aunt sally. I find the hardest thing is scheduling it in the route. What I mean is, say its Memorial Day weekend and they are not on the schedule to be cut... do you cut them as a nice gesture? or do you just say oh well, they are bi-weekly? I dont know, I guess I figure there is just way too much business out there to take on something that is not as profitable. (to me). I've said it once, and Ill say it again, create company policies now while you are small, implement them, and it becomes second nature when you have 5 trucks. This is how we became a weekly only service.