PDA

View Full Version : broken window

quickcleanlawn
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I broke window today.
insurence will not cover it . somthing about a deduction.
dont have the money to pay for it.
I was thinking to offer free services to cover the repairs or somthing.
has anyone else encounted a simular situation ?

Steve
04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi Blaine,

Do you know what your deductible is? That is the amount you have to pay out of pocket before the insurance company will pick up the rest?

Also do you have an idea how much the window would cost to replace?

musician/lawnman
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Call a glass & mirror company & see about getting it reglazed. *You DON'T have to replace the whole window & frame. *It's quicker, cheaper & avoids costly stucco/siding repairs.

quickcleanlawn
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
my deductible is $500
to replace it is $187
I would think I have to replace it b/c theres a hole the size of a baseball,$187 is not bad just got the estimate today I thought it would have been more b/c its an old building in an historical area. also come to find out the same company change the glass on the same building a few months back.
this kinda thing just stresses me out http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

musician/lawnman
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Relazing means simply that replacing only the glass... Not the frame.

well that's not too bad. I shattered a sliding glass door last month (threw a rock with a line trimmer) It was a lot more expensive. No fun. but it happens.

Steve
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi Blaine,

I don't know how creative they would want to be with bartering, but what if you offered them a bunch of coupons for lawn care service they could hand out to their customers?

Maybe you could give them the value of the window in coupons and then they wouldn't charge you for the window?

Plus it could introduce you to a whole new bunch of potential customers.

Could that work?

Little's
04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Just have them take it out of your pay for the month (or 2). Then you wont be out of pocket.

makbootzy
04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Im curious to know how these situations are handled? What if noone is home when it happens?

quickcleanlawn
04-02-2008, 08:28 PM
the guy seems pretty flexible.
he had some work cutting down some bannana trees a while back, but my estimate was too high. maybe i'll offer to take care of it in exchange.

quickcleanlawn
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Quote[/b] (makbootzy @ April 02 2008,6:15)]Im curious to know how these situations are handled? What if noone is home when it happens?
I'm a pretty honest guy.Plus the fear of someone else seeing me, I personally would have left a note, or called when I got home.

F3Nelson
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Quote[/b] (makbootzy @ April 02 2008,6:15)]Im curious to know how these situations are handled? What if noone is home when it happens?
If no one sees it then run like ####, buy two kids a baseball, take it to the yard, have one of em throw it through the window, Viola, blame the youngins, they can still cry!!!

I kid.....I like the barter idea, maybe give him just a shade more than 187 in trade, tell him you ll give him 250 bucks in service for his time and trouble and some goodwill.

If ya play your cards right, you could "bid" it for 250 bucks at the 187 dollar price, if ya know what I mean. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If you give 187 in service and he feels he got 250 in service, he will be happy so will you

makbootzy
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
yeah I didnt mean try an not be seen and not pay for it....just oh **** when it happens then how to aproach the home owner.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Quote[/b] ]Hi Blaine,

I don't know how creative they would want to be with bartering, but what if you offered them a bunch of coupons for lawn care service they could hand out to their customers?

Maybe you could give them the value of the window in coupons and then they wouldn't charge you for the window?

Plus it could introduce you to a whole new bunch of potential customers.

Could that work?

Steve, you're amazing...always thinking of a marketing angle...good stuff.

I think most people understand accidents happen.

Anyone who has bought my program knows that there is an "Occurrence Log" included for incidents like this. I recommend writing a summary of exactly what happened and taking digital photographs.

If the person claims you did more damage than what actually happened the occurrence log and the photographs will help back up your side of the story. This information will also help your insurance agent determine the amount of damage.

Keith

ritchiem
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Good point Keith...everyone has done this, and if you haven't you will. Re-glazing may cost just as much as the window. I would just fix it and keep moving on. I think no matter what you offer the client besides fixing the window will leave a bad taste in their mouth.

If I loan someone $50.00 and they pay me back with beer and a pack of cigars...that is not what I wanted, I wanted my money back. My opinion here.

I just think it would be easier to fix the window, that way nothing is held above you head.

quickcleanlawn
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Quote[/b] (F3Nelson @ April 02 2008,9:00)]Quote[/b] (makbootzy @ April 02 2008,6:15)]Im curious to know how these situations are handled? What if noone is home when it happens?
If no one sees it then run like ####, buy two kids a baseball, take it to the yard, have one of em throw it through the window, Viola, blame the youngins, they can still cry!!!

I kid.....I like the barter idea, maybe give him just a shade more than 187 in trade, tell him you ll give him 250 bucks in service for his time and trouble and some goodwill.

If ya play your cards right, you could "bid" it for 250 bucks at the 187 dollar price, if ya know what I mean. * http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If you give 187 in service and he feels he got 250 in service, he will be happy so will you
I like this idea. Ill be talking to him today.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

All Aspects Landscaping
04-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Im with rich here... in fact, my guys broke a car window last week... my foreman called our office, my wife call the mobile auto glass place, then called the customer... within 5 hours, problem solved... paid glass company by credit card, now we have a customer for life...

Glass was $148.00

And it was the first time cut (ever) on this customer... talk about being in the hole before you start huh?? lol

But stuff happens, and, you broke the window, pony up and replace it. People will think you are more of a standup guy if you just pay to replace it rather than fool around and ask to barter certain things off. People aren't stupid...

jewwells
04-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with most here, borrow the cash if you have to. Just replace it. The home owner may not like working a "deal".

I am new & just starting(very little money) out myself, but I would like to ask.
So if the engine on you mower or trimmer blows, what would you do?

StealthDumpTrucks
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
This looks like a good spot to start a discussion on preventing flying projectile damage or injury. Part of basic lawnmower operation training is keeping your guards and deflectors operational. Many times I see commercial mower operators running with the deflector in the up position hooked by a bungie cord. Everybody knows the deck usually won't go on or off the trailer or truck with the deflector down. Those few minutes and extra effort required to lift or drop are nothing compared to the hours and money spent fixing damage. Make it a rule, no blades spinning without the chute down.

If you see your competition with deflectors removed or up while mowing, guess who's the real professional.

Same goes for weedeaters. Yes those things get in the way, learn how to position them and the handles for your comfort while retaining protection. Never edge with a weedeater where the spinning string can throw objects toward structures, vehicles or people. Sidewalks pointing straight at glass means you should be facing away with your body between the string and fragiles. People hanging around need to be told to move. Employees should wear safety glasses at all times. If you're facing a busy street, park a trash can in the line of fire, or your own truck/equipment.

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Quote[/b] ]Same goes for weedeaters. Yes those things get in the way, learn how to position them and the handles for your comfort while retaining protection. Never edge with a weedeater where the spinning string can throw objects toward structures, vehicles or people. Sidewalks pointing straight at glass means you should be facing away with your body between the string and fragiles. People hanging around need to be told to move. Employees should wear safety glasses at all times. If you're facing a busy street, park a trash can in the line of fire, or your own truck/equipment.

Valuable ideas.