PDA

View Full Version : Greatest lesson?

Steve
10-12-2005, 03:04 PM
What is the greatest lesson you have learned reading the forums?

shipent
10-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Marketing flops... I was actually considering some of the things these other guys have tried, and apparently it is a waste of money!

THANKS FOR SAVING ME SOME DOUGH!

Steve
10-20-2005, 05:47 PM
TCLL said

don't under sell yourself. that is one of the mistakes I made just starting out.

another good one is if you don't need it, don't buy it.

Steve
10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
LLEE said

Mainly I have refined my bidding to ensure that my overhead is covered and I still make some $. Someone on here once advised that you should be slightly embarassed when you submit your bid. I have since upped the antee on my bids and still get plenty of work. Work is much more enjoyable when your getting paid properly.

A close second is learning about overhead and what is realistically is. Its definetely higher then I was figuring when I first started out.

Steve
10-20-2005, 06:46 PM
jgc8fan said

Now you wanna know the most important lesson I've learned IRL??? I'm never getting into a partnership ever again. Not that my partner is bad or anything... He's my best friend. I just found that I cannot deal with not having complete control of the business. Kinda wish I'd gone with "plan A" and went it alone from the start instead of joining him. We'd probably both be doing much better.

Steve
10-20-2005, 06:47 PM
kiddinl said

the info on equipment. this confirms my view of "stop jackin around with residential mowers". Also, the general idea of not selling yourself short to get the job. I've recently tried this, and to my surprise, i'm busier. go figure.

I'm still narrowing my search for my first commercial mower. I was fond of my friend's lesco, but the gear drive seems to have lost some pull, and the sulky only works in first gear, and 2nd if the ground is flat and hard. I'm starting to not like the design either; there's a plate on the outside of the belts, and it seems like the bolts that attach to it, start giving/moving around. I'm just now improving my credit, and can't go in too deep on a mower - i just need the bare essentials. i saw a billy goat mower at a rental place for 1500. I'm also considering the red hawk, or the quick 36 hydro.

Steve
11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Richawa said

info on the forums has helped me bid better on jobs, i was bidding way too low and didn't even know it, no wonder i had a bunch of people say they like my prices....