PDA

View Full Version : How to tell Cust. to pick up poop,toys,etc..Nicely

GeeGood
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Just wanted to get your ideas on how to tell a customer nicely that they need to pick up obstacles, toys, poop, etc... in their backyard. Do you have a letter you send or what do you think is the best way?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Greg that is a great question and I am surprised no one jumped on this yet. I think I have seen in some lawn care contracts, a fee will be added to the service if the dogs aren't picked up after.

Also, maybe this is a great business opportunity to offer this service or hire someone too.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

UniversityLandscapers
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I've only really had the problem once, and since the client was almost always home, I just knocked on the door and mentioned it to him. He gave me a nice tip with the first bill, then made an effort to pick most of it up later, while still tipping me generously.

lawnindustryconsultants.com
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
With this subject i tell my clients to tell there customers that they will pick it up for an extra charge increase sales

GeeGood
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys. I like the idea on charging to pick it up. I dont run into it often but when I do it is usually a big dog with big piles. I wonder what the going rate for picking up poo is? LOL

realhuntin
04-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Quote[/b] (GeeGood @ April 10 2008,11:53)]Thanks guys. I like the idea on charging to pick it up. I dont run into it often but when I do it is usually a big dog with big piles. I wonder what the going rate for picking up poo is? LOL
Depends on how much poop and toys your picking up if it takes you 10, 15 - 20 min to clean up a yard so you can do your job, then double the cutting charge this will get their attention, if you don't have it in your contract then you need to put it in there and include that you're not responsible for pets in fenced yards getting lose, it is the home owners responsibility to pick up toys and poop and make sure the pets are secure and put away while your there to do your job. If you don't use a contract for every cutting customers then you need to start. It will help protect you and the customer.

Good Luck
Tim

PremierLand
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
how to tell them?

You tell them they get charged extra (prorated $45 per man hour) if you have to pick up poop, toys, move trampolines, move pools, remove excess garbage, etc. if it is on the lawn each week.

FourSeasons
04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
What about when people want to have long conversations and tell you their life story. I don't mine conversating, but some times I need to get going.

How do you get out of these?

GeeGood
04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Another great question. I have several of those (talkers) that want to keep going and going about themselves or whatever. They beat me down.

F3Nelson
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Just tell them that you have to be at Mr./Mrs___ o'clock, and to make it on time you would have to leave now.

Steve
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I am curious about this. From your experiences, have you found any correlation between long conversations with potential customers and their rate of signing on with you?

Does a longer conversation = more approved estimates?

FourSeasons
04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Quote[/b] ]Does a longer conversation = more approved estimates?

Thats a good point.
I don't mind having extended conversations with people when I am trying to get their business. Sometimes if you stand and talk with people about whatever is on their mind at the time it can make them feel comfortable with you. Then they might develop a level of trust and choose you instead the other guy that is more like HI and BYE.

But when it happens every time I show up at the customer's house it gets kinda of old. Maybe its part of the job sometimes.

StartALawnCareBusiness
04-15-2008, 06:48 PM
How about the customers that sneak up behind you and tap you on the shoulder while you are weedeating? It always cracks me up that they are standing there talking to me as if I can hear while I have hearing protection on and the weedeater is blazing.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pointlaugh.gif